iPhone App for loudspeaker measurement: who wants to try ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2010, 04:25 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I have a copy of Faber Electroacoustical Toolbox, also FuzzMeasure. Would it be good to use these as tone generators and my iPhone 3G with the mic headset as the recorder?
Old 3rd March 2010, 04:59 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
I have a copy of Faber Electroacoustical Toolbox, also FuzzMeasure. Would it be good to use these as tone generators and my iPhone 3G with the mic headset as the recorder?
I am not familiar with these tools. I looked at their specs and it seems to me that they are very interesting.
I am afraid that measuring with an iPhone will be the weak point of your setup.

If you can borrow a basic soundmeter like this well known one:
Click the image to open in full size.
then you can connect the line level output to your Mac directly.
This will give you a first idea on your system.
Do not buy this basic soundmeter: keep money for next step:
buy a decent microphone. And either a pre-amp or "XLR to USB with phantom power".

If you really want to use the iPhone as a start, generate a white noise with whatever tool on the Mac,
record carefully (dont move) a "memo" of few seconds on the iPhone and send it to you (I donot
know with which free app but this should exist).
The white noise can come from a test CD as well.
Open this audio file on your Mac with any audio wave viewer that can make an FFT. There are free tools for that, maybe including the two tools you mention.

My App is interesting for those who want a standalone simple automatic cheap solution. If you accept to spend more money and more complexity i.e. post processing on a Mac/PC then you may skip the iPhone.
Old 3rd March 2010, 07:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtw View Post
I know now why I could just see it in the proposed list after typing "Messon" in the search field of my iPod but not select it, preview it and buy it.

I bought it from the itunes store on my PC and when I wanted to synchronize it said that the application is not compatible with this iPod (2nd Gen.)
Now I remember that "Messon ..." is indicated in iTunes as compatible with iPhone only. Which is not true.
I am currently trying to solve this. I hope that just by updating the application (once I get the solution) you will be allowed to use this App.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:51 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
I have just tried FuzzMeasure with my Behringer ECM8000+Mic100+MacBook.
It looks really pretty good. I just don't know what are the restrictions of the demo version.

I should have a look at this swept sine technique...

Some other interesting programs are discussed here:
Spectrum Analyzers - Mac INTEL - Gearslutz.com
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:10 PM   #35
domtw is offline domtw  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien Lefebvre View Post
I think this is probably a question of OS: please connect your device and check you OS version in iTunes (click on your device in iTunes).
The App was compiled with latest OS version which is 3.1.3. Just to propose latest one hopping this is the more stable one.
There might be something specific with iPod and not iPhone: the firmware update might not be free. But I do not know much about iPod. Maybe it is just for very first versions of iPod touch.

There is no hardware compatibility issue: with latest SDK, you enter hardware limitations and you do not choose any more which devices you claim the App is compatible with. I entered: "microphone" and Apple selects automatically compatible devices.
Hello,
It is not an OS compatibility problem as I am using version 3.1.3.
When synchronizing, it only says that "Messon" was not installed because it is not compatible with this iPod.
I even tried with the mic/headset connected in case it needed to "see" the mic...

Sorry, I hadn't read your latest message before writing this...

Last edited by domtw; 3rd March 2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 5th March 2010, 07:40 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtw View Post
Hello,
It is not an OS compatibility problem as I am using version 3.1.3.
When synchronizing, it only says that "Messon" was not installed because it is not compatible with this iPod.
I even tried with the mic/headset connected in case it needed to "see" the mic...

Sorry, I hadn't read your latest message before writing this...
Some news from Apple: "We are investigating this issue for you. (...)".
Old 20th March 2010, 09:46 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien Lefebvre View Post
Some news from Apple: "We are investigating this issue for you. (...)".
Problem was solved by Apple.
Now it appears as compatible with both iPhone and iPod Touch 2nd generation on AppStore.
Just tell me if it does not work in your particular case (App bought before it was declared compatible with iPod Touch).
Old 21st March 2010, 11:40 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to post screen shots here? Although I do not have iphone, I am eager about this tool.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:46 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucosticraft View Post
Is it possible to post screen shots here? Although I do not have iphone, I am eager about this tool.
I just added screenshots to my website here: http://quad-hifi.ifrance.com/AudioApps/index.html

Select the right App at the bottom: "Messon Speaker Meter". And you will see what this App pretends it can do.
Honestly I am very satisfied of the App now. I could still add features but the most useful step would be to buy a dock with a line input to connect an external microphone. Yet this brings complexity which is not my intention.
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:05 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Gr8 man.... Very impresive...

Hide this!Advertise here!