Best PCB Design Software for £1K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm after some advice for a friend (seriously!). He needs some reasonable PCB design software with schematic to PCB connectivity, he doesn't need auto-routing. DXF output of the PCB would be good. User friendliness is important, as he needs to get up to speed fairly quickly. Up to £1000 is possible. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
What is the technology/complexity that is going to be designed.
Ie SMD, number of components/pads, number of connections, size of boards etc.
Preferable output for having boards manufactured would be RS-274X (extended Gerber) or second RS-274 (basic gerber).
I would second Eagle as probably the only one thats gonna come near on price range though

Mostly through hole technology, although SMD might be used. Board size up to 400x200mm ish! Easy PC any good?

I design 1 to 6 small PCBs a year using the $125 eduction version of Eagle. Full features but limited to 160x100mm boards. For the price it is a good value.

Good:
Schematic capture is good. There is a fairly good component library and adding new components isn't hard. Manual layout is easy. The design rule checks work.

Bad:
Eagle's Autorouter is nearly useless. I wouldn't pay extra for it.
No SPICE either. You have to design outside of Eagle.

Eagle has a freeware version to download and try. I also tried a couple of free programs but none of them were as good as Eagle.

A few of my boards -- Eagle is ideal for simple projects like these:

Attachments

• P1010003-1.JPG
    P1010003-1.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 235
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 231
  • P1010005-2.JPG
    P1010005-2.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 232
PCBCAD 30 or 40

Simom:

I say old man, I hope that I am not too late with this information. But right in jolly old England, they are selling a complete PCB system for a mere 14.99 pounds.

It is located on eBay (UK). It is an excellent package, and if I was not so heavily invested in Protel and CircuitMaker 2000. I would check it out.

Cheers old fellow

Ivey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.