LTSpice: how to model temperature ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default LTSpice: how to model temperature ?

I'm not talking about how to set the global variable TEMP to model the circuit behaviour over temperature - done that.

The issue is that some components get hot (e.g. power devices) and will be mounted on heatsinks. Other devices are not mounted on the heatsink and will be at a different ambient.

Now, consider an amplifier design where a power BJT is on a heatsink at one temperature and another BJT setting the biass current for the power device and it is on a separate heatsink at a different temperature. [Don't worry about whether this is good design practice, I have a very good reason for these devices being at different temperatures.]

In order to model this I have to set different temperatures for two devices, which I can't figure out how to do
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 13th September 2009, 03:46 AM   #2
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Here's an example of passing "temp" to an individual model. In this specific case, the results should be exactly the same as if temp were not passed in. That's because temp is set to the nominal value of Tnom for a BJT, which is 27 deg C. See the documentation of Tnom in the BJT model parameters help.
Attached Images
File Type: png temp_spec.png (2.0 KB, 232 views)
Old 14th September 2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andy - brilliant, it works like a dream. I even used a parameter to allow me to step through some values for only those parts mounted on the heatsink.

p.s. It allowed me to verify that the temperature compensation in my circuit works (theoretically at least), which I couldn't do with a global temperature setting.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!