Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2010, 08:41 PM   #241
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

How do we export .FRD files from HOLM?

Nevermind, I just need to export the txt file and rename it FRD

Last edited by doug20; 30th March 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:24 AM   #242
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Right. But you may want to scale it up by 80-90dB before you export. Depends on where you are going with it.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:39 AM   #243
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Right. But you may want to scale it up by 80-90dB before you export. Depends on where you are going with it.
I noticed that, Im trying to work with speaker workshop.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:51 AM   #244
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, you can add up to 99dB in the options window of each measurement (A, B, C). The graph will go right off the chart, but it exports fine. Put it back after you export to see it again on the HOLM chart.

Who was it that figured that one out? It's back in the thread somewhere. Major kudos to him!
Old 31st March 2010, 06:16 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wim_ View Post
In the left pane of the screen below the button "organise measurements" you have a lowpass and highpass function...

Yup, right there in plain sight.

Thank you.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:39 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Default HOLMImpulse and EMU-0404 Calibration

I am using trying the software for a few weeks, and liked it very much. I have tried with several sound cards but an external one seems the best.

Is there anybody tried sound card calibration for EMU 0404?

I'm using Behringer ECM8000 connected to EMU0404 and doubtful about loopback connection.

Should I disconnect the mike and connect a cable between input and output of the sound card? Is that enough?

Thanks.
Old 21st May 2010, 10:31 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Default Setting voltage to speaker

I will be using the software shortly, but how do you set the output to 2.83 volts since I don't see a place to calibrate the voltage. Or does it do it automatically when doing the calibration. I will be using this jig
Re-Jigging the jig: Speaker testing device for Arta, Speaker Workshop & HOLMImpulse. So what steps are needed in getting things set for measurements.
Thanks
Old 21st May 2010, 11:46 PM   #248
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Since Holm does not know the gain of anything following it or input to it, it cannot know what 2.83 volts will be nor what the SPL is. You will need an SPL meter to calibrate it if you want absolute levels.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:46 PM   #249
diyAudio Moderator

gnal: You want to do a loop from output to input to calibrate. If you can use the mic input, you should. I can do so on my M-Audio card by using the "Pad" on the mic input to bring down the level. I use a 1/4" to XLR cable for this.

McMahon. Not likely your soundcard will output 2.83 volts. And it wouldn't drive the speakers anyway. So... You set the output level of HOLM to -3dB or -6dB and then adjust your amplifier to give you 2.83 volts, or whatever you want. I don't worry about that, I just set the MLS signal (like pink) to give me ~84dB as measured with the Radio Shack SPL meter. That's a good measurement point for me.
Old 22nd May 2010, 03:33 PM   #250
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Ditto - absolute calibration of level is too hard to setup and unnecessary. I do it just once for a speaker system to note the system sensitivity using a SLM. Everything else is simply done in relative terms - don't change any gains outside of Holm and everything stays calibrated to each other.

Hide this!Advertise here!