HOLMImpulse: Measurements in practice

Okay, I rebooted. Updated Java and Im not getting the error right now so I did some quick measurements
Just waveguide
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Waveguide and woofer
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I set the DCX up to have a 800Hz LR48 high pass slope for the waveguide and a 1.7KHz LR48 low pass for the woofer.

All comments are welcome, is there something wrong? Should I continue to measure at 15, 30, 45 degrees?

Last edited:
The ringing on the waveguide is very odd. Yes, off axis are the only meaningful measurement, but 15 degrees is a pretty wide angle and a 90 dB scale is pretty wide. 50 dB is more standard and even that is pretty wide.

Here is the same CD/waveguide measured by augerpro

My scales have not been touched, I just started measuring so I will change them to whatever the standard is.

Does anybody have a good feel for the save procedure with Holm?

I messed up a file by doing a "Save as" over the wrong files. Then realized that it (Holm)was autosaving, so stopped doing it manually. Then I lost some measurements that way??

Does it autosave differently when exiting the program vs. selecting another session?

David

Does anybody have a good feel for the save procedure with Holm?

I messed up a file by doing a "Save as" over the wrong files. Then realized that it (Holm)was autosaving, so stopped doing it manually. Then I lost some measurements that way??

Does it autosave differently when exiting the program vs. selecting another session?

David

I have learned in the past couple weeks to always export my measurements to either wave files or text.

Funny...

I enclose a two Holm curves, the blue is done in a dead quite room, the red one is measured with music (Calexio) from Spotify mixed with the Holm signal (Log Sweep) at equal level, and the only speaker in the room is the one under test! The drivers are a Peerless 5 inch mid bass and a B&G Neo3 in a small baffle. Maybe its not a too bright reflexion on my behalf, how small impact the loud music has on the measurement...the room is about 6x6x3 meters.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 246
I'm not looking for anything, just observing that frequency measurements can be done simultaneously as I listen to my favorite music, and on the same speaker that I am testing. I did not know that this was possible!

Attached: The same measurement as previous, with Noise curves.

Neither did I until you posted it, thanks!

It shows that HOLM does a decent job of filtering out the music as noise.

As for listening to music, I use headphones and an Ipod with doing measurements ;)

We really need Ask to join us on this forum again, I would love to be able to do 6 off axis measurements and show them on one plot!!

Yes, and maybe Ask can explain why room reflexions from the music doesn't
show up on the full range charts. I have experimented with mic distances from
1 inch to 4 meters, and different measurement signals, and there's no big influence on the results caused by the music. How can HOLM identify what is music and what is measurement signal? The only explanation I can think of is that the specific frequencies that Holm measures on has a very low or no representation in the music signal.

Yes, and maybe Ask can explain why room reflexions from the music doesn't
show up on the full range charts. I have experimented with mic distances from
1 inch to 4 meters, and different measurement signals, and there's no big influence on the results caused by the music. How can HOLM identify what is music and what is measurement signal? The only explanation I can think of is that the specific frequencies that Holm measures on has a very low or no representation in the music signal.
The reason is the test stimulus and its post-processing. The test signal is good at rejecting noise. Music, to a large degree, is like noise.

There's a good description of the basics here. If you want more, I'd suggest reading this paper from the AES library.

Dave

Very nice software. Thank you.

Simple operational question:

Is there a way to apply a limit to the upper frequency of a log sweep in HolmImpulse? I've looked within the software, the options file, the help file, and the manual, as well as searched the web a bit, but have not found anything yet.

I'm primarily measuring subs with log sweeps, and I'd prefer to have the data density where I need the resolution (10 Hz to 200 Hz).

Very nice software. Thank you.

Simple operational question:

Is there a way to apply a limit to the upper frequency of a log sweep in HolmImpulse? I've looked within the software, the options file, the help file, and the manual, as well as searched the web a bit, but have not found anything yet.

I'm primarily measuring subs with log sweeps, and I'd prefer to have the data density where I need the resolution (10 Hz to 200 Hz).

In the left pane of the screen below the button "organise measurements" you have a lowpass and highpass function...