HOLMImpulse: Measurements in practice - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 05:32 PM   #101
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Default First couple of measurements

Here's my first two measurements worth uploading

Blue is a 3 way AS classic speaker.

Red is a 2 way AS classic speaker - different brand. Red one'w woofer runs full range w/no series coil. Wonder why all the phase inversions.

Blue one was measured on the floor. Red on was measured a couple of feet off the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: png AR vs KLH on holmimpulse.png (47.5 KB, 794 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 05:34 PM   #102
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Never seen a measurement of that card but even if I did there are other mitigating factors - power supply, EMI, Bios settings for PCI etc....

In HOLM under Device & Signal to the right under calibration is where you would calibrate your ADC/DAC loopback.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 06:14 PM   #103
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
Never seen a measurement of that card but even if I did there are other mitigating factors - power supply, EMI, Bios settings for PCI etc....

In HOLM under Device & Signal to the right under calibration is where you would calibrate your ADC/DAC loopback.
Thans Key. Soundcard calibration routine reported it's accurate within +- 3 dB from 8 to 21 kHz. I'd say not bad.
Although keep getting msg. saying there's clipping. Don't know how to 'turn it down'?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 03:17 AM   #104
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerdoctor View Post
Thans Key. Soundcard calibration routine reported it's accurate within +- 3 dB from 8 to 21 kHz. I'd say not bad.
Although keep getting msg. saying there's clipping. Don't know how to 'turn it down'?
Same tab Device and Signal under output device is PCM amplitude. Might want to lower it. If that doesn't work lower the Art MP. Basically if you are clipping the inputs you have to turn down whats feeding it or else all you are doing is turning down a clipped signal.

Sorry if you already understand this but I just see this question pop up frequently with people recording from vinyl expecting to be able to turn it down within the computer not realizing they are clipping the analog stage of the soundcards inputs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 05:40 AM   #105
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
Gain structure is very important, yes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 05:44 AM   #106
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Some (including me) might argue it is the most important thing. Outside of having gear that actually works/interfaces properly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 11:34 PM   #107
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerdoctor View Post
Here's my first two measurements worth uploading

Blue is a 3 way AS classic speaker.

Red is a 2 way AS classic speaker - different brand. Red one'w woofer runs full range w/no series coil. Wonder why all the phase inversions.

Blue one was measured on the floor. Red on was measured a couple of feet off the floor.
Mr. Holm. What does the dash line in the impulse response represent? It curves down from the top of the graph and slopes down to the right.
And, why can I take one dashed line and move it to match the shape of another dashed line if I have taken two measurements?
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 04:47 AM   #108
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
Do you mean the time window in the impulse measure?
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 04:32 PM   #109
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Do you mean the time window in the impulse measure?
There's more than one window in the impulse measure?

I was referring to the default impulse measure window.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 09:18 AM   #110
domtw is offline domtw  France
diyAudio Member
 
domtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrit37 View Post
Hey Guys,
The problem with impules response alignment is that the peak of the impulse is where the highest frequencies are, so if you align the peaks, of say the HF and LF, your joining the "wrong ends of the stick" as it were.
Examining the relative slopes of the phase trace through the crossover region and getting them to agree seems to be the best way to get these components into alignment.
By adjusting the arrival time so you get the phase slope to be horizontal for one band you know that you are looking at when that energy is arriving. Without changing the delay time you now can see if the the other band is arriving early or late by looking at the phase slope.
It's this area of interaction between bands that needs attention.
Two signals of equal amplitude will have the most interaction.

I am now back into practice and need a few more details about the above method for time alignment.

If I look at the phase of each driver separately, I can find an area (for the twitter position, relatively to the woofer) where those two phase plot seem to agree.
My problem is that by looking at this agreement, I cannot find a very precise position for the twitter.
I would think that in a range of 1-2 cm, the 2 curves are kind of agreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrit37 View Post
By adjusting the arrival time so you get the phase slope to be horizontal for one band you know that you are looking at when that energy is arriving. Without changing the delay time you now can see if the the other band is arriving early or late by looking at the phase slope.
It's this area of interaction between bands that needs attention.
Two signals of equal amplitude will have the most interaction.
I am not sure how to do this in HOLM Impulse.
Could you, please, develop that part?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency- & Impulse-Response askbojesen Software Tools 859 22nd May 2014 02:00 PM
Practice Amplifier thespeakerguy Instruments and Amps 21 24th August 2008 07:11 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2