Documenting SimpleSE FRED Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't noted quite this issue mentioned previously.

First power up, all transformers connected - no switches, including stand-by. No tubes. Edcor 120V:740V transformer. Blew 2A fuse.

Replaced 2A fuse, tried again thinking bad luck. Powered up, blew 2A fuse and put a hole in a C-90 thermistor.

Disconnected power transformer, powered transformer, no problem.

Put El Cheapo meter across secondary and powered up, blew fuse. Looked like shorted transformer secondary but it measured a pretty reasonable 49 ohms.

Checked HV connector on board and found high resistance continuity.

Removed DESI-12 FREDS (TubeLab specified parts) and all is well.

Initial power up shorted FREDS even though they weren't in-circuit (no switch). Subsequent testing of transformer secondary with El Cheapo meter shorted meter (meter rated at 750V, guess there's no margin in that rating).

Thanks, and thanks for the link.

I realize the FREDs will short the HV. I was trying to emphasize that it wasn't related to switching transient (stand-by switch) as I had read on the TubeLab site.

But thinking about it, I guess a switch is a switch regardless how far upstream it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.