HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency- & Impulse-Response - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2011, 01:26 AM   #701
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default HolmImpulse crashes during auto-save on exit

I'm experiencing a hard crash when I try to exit HolmImpulse. On exit, the status bar reads "Closing HOLMImpulse (Autosaving) - Please wait..." and the program uses up most of the available CPU power. It sits in this state until I hit the on/off switch. A force quit via Task Manager does not work(!)

This only happens after I've taken a measurement. I can start the program and exit it immediately just fine. I can run a manual File->Save without incident. But if I take a measurement and then try to exit the program hangs. I'm saving to a local drive and have HolmImpulse installed in the default location (no changes made during install).

Setup:
IBM ThinkPad T42 (Pentium M 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM)
Saffire PRO 24 sound card connected via a SIIG Firewire 400 PCMCIA card
Windoze XP SP3 running all the latest updates.
HolmImpulse 1.4.2.0

Does anybody have any idea of what's going on here?

Thanks,

~Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 1st February 2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 1st February 2011, 02:19 AM   #702
Thawach is offline Thawach  Thailand
diyAudio Member

i use window sp3 as the same but never found the problem when i did the mesurement with holmimpulse 1.4.2/
Old 1st February 2011, 02:59 AM   #703
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Never seen that Tom, even across the home network. It can be a bit slow sometimes, but it doesn't crash when saving.

How about changing the save location just to see. Just a stab in the dark, I know, as it is saving OK manually.
Old 1st February 2011, 05:18 AM   #704
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Tom,

I was having problems with holm randomly crashing on exit as well, the worst of which trashed the autobackup completely (losing all measurements). I'm now making a point of saving the measurements to a separate zip file before exiting so I have a backup.

Try backing up, and then deleting the auto-save file. I can't remember exactly where it is on xp but under documents and settings somewhere.

Tony.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:08 AM   #705
just another
diyAudio Moderator

ok had to finish that post quickly as had to be somewhere... I've had a look and on XP the autosave file is stored under: (assuming you have your installation on C: drive)

c:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Holm Acoustics\HolmImpulse\MeasAutosaved.zip

When I checked mine I had a MeasAutosaved.zip.old file from when I was having the problem.. it is probably safest to rename it rather than delete it just in case you haven't backed up what you think you have

Tony.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:02 PM   #706
diyAudio Member

I've had Holm crash 4 times. 2 of those times all data was wiped out.

Since I don't have zip, I save FR's I like as jpegs as 1/6 oct.
Far from perfect, but suits my basic needs.

Are there any posts in this long thread about how to measure phase?
Old 1st February 2011, 12:18 PM   #707
ilardi is offline ilardi  United States
diyAudio Member

I also get crashes with Holmimpulse (under Windows 7) and it also sometimes wipes out my data. I can restart Holmimpulse but it won't make any new measurements unless I reboot my machine. I've tended to blame it on flakey drivers for my EMU-0202 but this is the only application that does this. While I wish it were more stable, Holmimpulse is good enough that I will keep using it.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:14 PM   #708
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi makingmoney, I don't believe that you need a zip program installed to be able to backup to zip files with holm. You can re-load the zip backups any time using "load measurements" (note this will wipe out any current measurements unless you use the load measurements append option).

If you haven't got a method for opening zips then I'd highly recommend the free-ware 7Zip available here 7-Zip

Not sure about the phase question...

Tony.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:44 PM   #709
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
ok had to finish that post quickly as had to be somewhere... I've had a look and on XP the autosave file is stored under: (assuming you have your installation on C: drive)

c:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Holm Acoustics\HolmImpulse\MeasAutosaved.zip

When I checked mine I had a MeasAutosaved.zip.old file from when I was having the problem..
I have the MeasAutosaved.zip. No .zip.old. I tried deleting the MeasAutosaved.zip. Same issue. HolmImpulse would crash on exit. I think the AutoSave works fine, but something after the AutoSave (maybe when it turns off the audio stream) breaks. The last entry in the log file is something about turning off the audio stream.

I'll play a little bit with it tonight. I'll try some different audio settings. My patience is running out. I have very little patience for broken tools. I'm also using FuzzMeasure on my Mac and wanted to compare the measurements performed by the two programs as the impulse response I get with FuzzMeasure doesn't seem to have much resolution (few sample points). I haven't played with all the options/settings, though.

~Tom
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:18 AM   #710
just another
diyAudio Moderator

ok I wonder whether something in the settings file has been corrupted... You could try renaming the HolmImpulseOptions.xml file and start up again. It should change everything back to default settings. When I had a problem on windows 7 with crashing I deleted everything in the directory.. it was slightly different though in that I couldn't start holm without it crashing...

I suspect that it doesn't cope well with certain unexpected events from the sound drivers though...

If you can't get it sorted (and even if you do) you might want to take a look at REW REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page a new version just came out and I must say the play I had with it last night, it looks very impressive! I haven't used it to do any measurements, but imported some impulse responses I did in holm and tried the various graphs available. The sonograms look quite interesting.

Tony.

Hide this!Advertise here!