HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency- & Impulse-Response - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2010, 05:41 PM   #601
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Yes, both. Or either. They should do the same thing.
Right, answered my own question just after I posed it, by exploring the ADC/DAC Calibration section of the second? tab.

How could I have found this out without asking? I realize there is no manual, and I started to read through all 50+ pages of this thread. Is there a HOLMImpulse forum? Or a knowledge base? Or some examples?

Regarding loopback sound card calibration, the one time ADC/DAC image cal load is fine for me (once I nail down how to use it). The ECM8000 to M-Audio preamp to UCA202 USB is clean enough. And one channel is sufficient(/perfect/preferred) for FR and IR measurments.
Old 11th February 2010, 05:44 PM   #602
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My guess is that the single channel - mostly a mic - is just to make it easy use. And it is easy.
Maybe the 2 channel thing could go under some advanced options?

Warbird - there is a PDF manual on the HOLM site, IIRC.
http://www.holmacoustics.com/downloa...eUserGuide.pdf
Old 11th February 2010, 07:39 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Warbird - there is a PDF manual on the HOLM site, IIRC.
http://www.holmacoustics.com/downloa...eUserGuide.pdf
Yes I have the "HOLMImpulseUserGuide.pdf", covers import export graph tweaks and theory well, but little on using the "Device & Signal" and "Data Analysis" Tabs. Perhaps I'm missing something?
Old 11th February 2010, 08:54 PM   #604
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No probably not. We're lucky to have much documentation. At the beginning there was nothing.....
Old 12th February 2010, 12:01 AM   #605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
John

Make no mistake about it, and I know that you won't like this, but even one channel, HolmImpulse is the best loudspeaker measurement tool that I have used to date. Its all I use anymore. Sure, it could be improved, but it is still exceptional as it is.

It measure frequency response. What's the big deal, that it is free? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but just what makes it so great?
Old 12th February 2010, 12:30 AM   #606
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
It measure frequency response. What's the big deal, that it is free? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but just what makes it so great?
Well, it is free, it is good depending on how critical one is about looking at data. Sometimes this is good help for getting people started in sound improvement. I had been happy with SpeakerWorkshop when I started out; but as I learned more, the desire for more bang for the buck came into consideration, and I moved to SoundEasy which pretty much is evolving continuously due to feedback from more experienced users. With consistent effort from the developer, I think it would be interesting to see how HOLMImpulse will evolve. It's always encouraging to see people making effort to produce better things.
Old 12th February 2010, 01:00 AM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
Well, it is free, it is good depending on how critical one is about looking at data. Sometimes this is good help for getting people started in sound improvement. I had been happy with SpeakerWorkshop when I started out; but as I learned more, the desire for more bang for the buck came into consideration, and I moved to SoundEasy which pretty much is evolving continuously due to feedback from more experienced users. With consistent effort from the developer, I think it would be interesting to see how HOLMImpulse will evolve. It's always encouraging to see people making effort to produce better things.
Yes, I think the operative work is FREE. Certainly is seems easier to use than SpeakerWorkshop, but I don't think it is necessarily better as far as getting good data.
Old 12th February 2010, 01:46 AM   #608
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I guess lots of people get overly excited when we get something for free. A big thing on this side of the pond is "buy one get one free" at convenience stores like 7 Eleven. It gets me interested in trying some things I otherwise would not have cared to buy.
Old 12th February 2010, 02:09 AM   #609
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
- Its free
- It uses a log sweeps which puts the nonlinearities at precise points on the impulse response as individual impulses - nothing else does this and its key to any view of nonlinearity that is going to mean anything
- its very easy to use
- its exports a whole set of impulse - such as at various off axis positions - into a single file - nothing else does that
- you do sound sarcastic
- and OHH did I mention that its free!
Old 12th February 2010, 02:12 AM   #610
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
I guess lots of people get overly excited when we get something for free.
You know, I mis-spoke. That its free is irrelavent. I'd gladly buy it if I had to. I insisted that my Chinese client switch over to HolmImpulse since they were using old B & K and LMS stuff. Holm danced circles around both of those.

Hide this!Advertise here!