HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency- & Impulse-Response - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2009, 03:05 PM   #301
gedlee is online now gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ask

On my Vista-64 OS, all versions will crash on startup IF the sound card has an input and output connected. If there is no input, but there is an output, then the program will start, but the listing for the sound card input will be blank. Inserting the input and reinitializing the sound card clears up the problem. This could be an error with the sound card. The modern sound card drivers do have input and output detect which could be giving your program some trouble as the sound card reports no capabilities if there is nothing plugged in.

The software also crashes if there is nothing plugged into the sound card. There must be ONLY an output connection or none of the versions will start.
Old 11th July 2009, 03:21 PM   #302
KSTR is online now KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ask, seems to work now...

@Earl: I know you won't like to read this, by why not keep things clean by setting up a extra PC (or a partition on the one your using) only for audio/scientific work? I have done so for years now, using an Windows2000 installation that was never touched in years (and of course without any internet connection, etc). Only recently I had to migrate to XP(32bit) for other reasons and already regret it, as there are issues with the soundcards now that didn't show up with W2K (heavy hard-disk traffic sometimes produces clicks and sync-errors).

- Klaus
Old 11th July 2009, 03:29 PM   #303
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee
On my Vista-64 OS, all versions will crash on startup IF the sound card has an input and output connected.
- Does it crash before you measure?
- Any errors when crashing?
- The "Show info" gives information about the detected i/o's ?
(If so, then attach this info as txt-file in a post)

I have difficulties reproducing this error.
I have tested on a pc with no input or output
I have tested on a pc with no input , but output
Old 11th July 2009, 04:30 PM   #304
diyAudio Member

Hi Ask

No, the software never even starts, I never see a screen.

I have another problem. The program crashes with a memory fault when I try and do a loop back. I must restart the program once this happens as it will always happen after the first time.

While Vista 64 is rather unique at the moment, and the saound card not so common, it is a mainstream HP, the kind of system that you should expect to see more and more of. It is unchanged from the system that was shipped. I use HPs because they have been very stable for me, I have 5 of them. Only this Vista-64 one has any of the problems with your software, but this is the one that I use for measurements.

Clearly my problem is unique and almost not worth worrying about until you get more complaints. It could easily be a bug in the sound card drivers.

KSTR - sorry a computer like you suggest is not practical for me because I can never have a fixed measurement setup. I have to clear my living room and setup the system and then tear it down. The computer must do multiple duty.
Old 11th July 2009, 05:03 PM   #305
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
It could easily be a bug in the sound card drivers.

That's what it sounds like to me.
Old 12th July 2009, 03:12 AM   #306
Theo404 is offline Theo404  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: DUT response import

Quote:
Originally posted by KSTR
This would really be the most flexible solution. However, with the new IR import feature (which really makes my day, Ask, BIG "THANK YOU"!) my most basic needs are fully satisfied for the moment..
Klaus, what software are you using to generate IR from measurements then?

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee No, the software never even starts, I never see a screen.

I have another problem. The program crashes with a memory fault when I try and do a loop back. I must restart the program once this happens as it will always happen after the first time.

While Vista 64 is rather unique at the moment, and the saound card not so common, it is a mainstream HP, the kind of system that you should expect to see more and more of. It is unchanged from the system that was shipped. I use HPs because they have been very stable for me, I have 5 of them. Only this Vista-64 one has any of the problems with your software, but this is the one that I use for measurements.

Clearly my problem is unique and almost not worth worrying about until you get more complaints. It could easily be a bug in the sound card drivers.

KSTR - sorry a computer like you suggest is not practical for me because I can never have a fixed measurement setup. I have to clear my living room and setup the system and then tear it down. The computer must do multiple duty.

So, it seems what I asked before is correct...? You use the onboard soundcard on a $10 HP motherboard for critical measurements? Surley this isnt what you used to create the published results for your summas etc...?!
Old 12th July 2009, 04:16 AM   #307
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: DUT response import

Quote:
Originally posted by Theo404

So, it seems what I asked before is correct...? You use the onboard soundcard on a $10 HP motherboard for critical measurements? Surley this isnt what you used to create the published results for your summas etc...?!
The soundcard is quite sufficient thank you.
Old 12th July 2009, 05:21 AM   #308
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I think you might not understand what he is recommending. He is saying to keep Vista 64 and use it for internet, experimenting etc... (whatever will work on it) But also install a second Hard Drive that is running XP on the same computer. This way you can go into BIOS before you boot up and choose to boot to either Disc 1 Vista 64 or Disc 2 XP Pro.

This is a pretty common setup now and it is the way I run both of my computers regardless of OS.
Disc 1 = Internet, Experimenting with new Audio software etc..
Disc 2 = Stable OS dedicated to working on Audio "mission critical" OS

I use it for DAW and Multitrack mixing purposes which can be very demanding but this same type of setup has been getting more and more popular for all types of work. Personally I find the more you get rid of security and networking the more stable an OS will be for audio work.

Additionally Vista has a bit of a problem with audio and streaming. It has a much higher DPC Latency than XP when running the same hardware. This should not be directly related to your problem with his software but it is a good idea for anyone working on audio with Vista to run DPC Latency Checker.
Old 12th July 2009, 03:08 PM   #309
KSTR is online now KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theo404
Klaus, what software are you using to generate IR from measurements then?
I use glsweep (generates the sweep and its inverse) and lsconv (a general purpose convolver), both from the DRC-package. Additionally I have my own little code for logsweeps etc and I use Audtion to make the inverse and for convolving (unless the sweeps are long, then it cannot handle it) and for format conversions, occasionally using SoX for those tasks (also comes with the DRC distro). Playback/Recording is done with a variety of audio-software, usually I choose my main DAW program for this which is an old version of Samplitude as it is optimized for the soundcards I use (that is, more likely the other way round).

The nice thing of being able to import/export IR's and complex FR's is the toolbox character of it (way more applications than plain speaker measurements), for example you can import an arbitrary FR (generated/edited by other SW) and let HOLMI generate the IFFT, producing the corresponding IR. Plus the FFT math routines, graphical routines etc. While I can have all that in other packages as well (Octave+GNUplot, etc), HOLMI is very easy to use.

BTW: @Ask,
for further enhancing the toolbox character of the SW it would be nice to also let the user provide his own inverse, as an alternative to the built-in Inversion. That is, only if that makes practical sense and is feasible with your SW structure, otherwise don't bother.

Right now it already is the best freeware program all over and rivals al lot of $$$ tools in functionality. As a DIYer one can easily live with a few drawbacks (like little documentation as of yet) and the occasional bug popping up (I'll keep you posted whenever I run into issues). One can choose to invest either $$$ in pro software or invest some time and own effort in this kind of software, I prefer to do the latter, as one also can learn something (at least I did, a lot already).

- Klaus
Old 12th July 2009, 05:23 PM   #310
tbrooke is offline tbrooke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Holm

I had trouble with my Vista setup but know I am up running fine and I would add great job. You must be working hard because there is a new update every time I start up. I use Acourate which is a paid program and frankly you are beginning to surpass it - although you don't have the filter generation aspect of Acourate.

I know this would require a lot of effort but a linus version would be nice so I wouldn't have to mess with Vista

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!