Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2009, 08:56 PM   #111
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What should the Chirp measurement sound like? To me it seems the same as the log Sweep. Should it?

The Square noise sounds like white noise, as it should.
Old 15th June 2009, 07:29 AM   #112
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Probably a simple question, but could one "add together" the .cal files? Say I want to "calibrate out" my mixer's possible effects but also use the WM-61A .cal file alongside it, to give an overall flat response (DIY mic powered by mixer console)
Old 15th June 2009, 02:52 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Default Need cancel measurement or lock measurement

Sometime, I pressed Measure button while intended to check the box beneath Measure button. Then, you know, I lose the old measurement & can't cancel the new measurement...

Please think about put a option to lock measurement or a confirmation pop up window before doing new measurement, in the case a old measurement existed.
Old 16th June 2009, 02:57 AM   #114
diyAudio Moderator

I've done the same thing. Just hit abort while the measurement window is op and you will not lose your saved graph.
Old 16th June 2009, 04:30 PM   #115
jcga is offline jcga  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: No ASIO support yet.. + Levels

Quote:
Originally posted by askbojesen
Now HOLMImpulse does not have ASIO support - only MME

ASIO
- Do you have soundcards, that have ASIO, but not MME?
- How much do you prioritize ASIO support?
I would really appreciate ASIO support too, because it is so easy to mess level calibration with MME. You will never know what Windows will do with levels from cession to cession...

Jean-Claude
Old 16th June 2009, 07:41 PM   #116
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: No ASIO support yet.. + Levels

Quote:
Originally posted by jcga

I would really appreciate ASIO support too, because it is so easy to mess level calibration with MME. You will never know what Windows will do with levels from cession to cession...
Hi Jean-Claude

Could you expand on this for me, please? What are the session-to-session issues that MME has?
Old 16th June 2009, 08:29 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Web
Any way to disable auto detection?
Yes from version 1.1.5.6 there is - A checkbox (Auto apply timewindow)
Quote:
Hmm. Any way to use a rollof for gating? Remove the HF part of the reflection and then leave the LF part to not mess up the shape of the response.
Look at attachment. Procedure:[list=1][*] Make measurement and put this into A[*] Adjust wide time window for A[*] Choose empty slot in B[*] Analyze > Copy A to B[*] Adjust narrow time window for B[*] Choose empty slot in C[*] Analyze > Stitching (C = A->B) (Disable gain, phase match)[/list=1]
Now you will have a new impulse response in C with low frequency and high frequency without reflections.
I'm working on a frequency dependent time-window concept, but
this will take a while...
Quote:
Any news on IR export to wave?
No news here - You can save it as text-file for math manipulation or import to e.g. excel - why do you all want this IR-wave file?
Do you want to replay the echoes in the speaker or what
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot005.png (57.4 KB, 524 views)
Old 16th June 2009, 11:01 PM   #118
jcga is offline jcga  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: No ASIO support yet.. + Levels

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun

Hi Jean-Claude

Could you expand on this for me, please? What are the session-to-session issues that MME has?
As far as I understand things, MME audio is controlled by Windows Mixer which is available to other applications at the same time as well.

So let say you have done some measurements with some windows mixer settings at a time and one week after you are doing some other measurements, you could have lost all your calibration settings.

Of course, if you are not interested by absolute measurement, it's not a real problem.
On the other side, Windows mixer has no control on ASIO.

JC
Old 17th June 2009, 12:00 AM   #119
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

>> why do you all want this IR-wave file?

Why? For post-processing of any kind.... because the IR is the omnipotent kernel to everything else...

Many people would surely like to have the step-response calculated from it (which is trivial, it would take you 10 minutes or so to implement a switch from impulse to step response view -- of the main pulse --, wouldn't it?)... or CSD-plots... or S-transforms etc... for use with other SW (say, if we had an export to ARTA's .PIR format) and for comparison with other speaker's data (especially the step response is a quasi-standard).

For me its not a big deal to convert the ASCII to whatever format I want... but for other (non-programmers) it is.

I would strongly favor to have all data accessible (including an impulse import as well, to use your excellent SW as a viewer), that is: all I/O transparent and selectable between "real" I/O (sound card, internal data flow) or file-I/O. For everything. And raw double import/export should be really simple, plain straight 1:1 memory fill/dump.

To illustrate why this open aproach can be VERY useful:
I tried to phase-linerarize my speakers just this evening for an experiment we currently conduct on a german forum, but I do this offline in the DAW by simple letting the audio track run backwards through an allpass that mimics my speaker's allpass function (LR24@1.6kHz) -- because this is the easiest and most flexible way for me to do this at the moment.
But I cannot check/display the result with your software since I have no access to the data stream at the point where I would need it -- if I had the stimulus available, I could do the manipulation on the stimulus, then run the recording of the DUT response on my own and import it back into your software to use its display and post-processing capabilities. Or if there were a stimulus import as well the external record step would not be necessary. Just imagine any kind of "breaking the chain" to allow for any kind of offline processing and pre/post-processing. Eg for electrical measurements I could do my own pre-averaging to increase S/N (in the time domain, before convolution), as I guess the averaging that you have implemented is post-averaging which of course is useful as well -- though I haven't tried this out, so far.

You don't loose anything if you, over time, try to make your program as versatile and useful as possible, do you? There is no need to have all this "expert features" implemented asap and it doesn't need to be foolproof as well -- people who would value this features sure know what they do and won't blame you when unexpected results show up from their own user faults.

Think of it as a tool in a bigger toolbox, not as a swiss army knife always to be used standalone. There are much more ways to use a SW than the creator can ever hope to imagine, and the more open and flexible the architecture is, the more so this will happen.

- Klaus
Old 17th June 2009, 01:04 AM   #120
diyAudio Moderator

Yes-yes! I vote for ASIO too! Or Direct Sound. Something that bypasses the K-Mixer, so that settings are always the same (no chance to mess up in Windows) and nothing else is on the same stream.

For casual users it may not matter. But for measurement better use it would be nice to NOT go thru the K-Mixer. Many media players can do this, e.g. Winamp, Foobar, J. River, etc. as well as editing programs.

Hide this!Advertise here!