Schematic symbols - where to find

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New IPC standard regarding schematic symbols IPC-2612-1 is around, I do belive it can be downloaded for evaluation if you look aroun. If not PM me and I'll zip you a copy. It covers most symbols and may finaly start harmonising symbols used. We are adopting it along with IPC-7351 footprint libraries (our friends at PCB matrix) as we have customers all over, each with thier own views on how a resistor should be drawn, so where possible now I'll stick to an IPC standard, it avoids a lot of problems.
Out of curiosity what system will they be used on.

Last edited:
what are you using for software? LTSpice is good for windows OR linux (running under wine). i also use gEDA in linux which has a huge symbol library, and huge libraries of other symbols available on the web. if you're a windows user, i think there might be a windows port of gEDA. gEDA also comes with a PC board layout program.

I use QuickCad, and made or modified my symbols. It is OK for standard electronics, but I had to do some that match old British auto schematics. Ya, know, maybe it is because of my age, but 99% of the time I use paper and pen with my old Pickett templates. Some of the greatest circuits in history were done on the back of an envelope.

Download ExpressPCB/SCH. The schematic editor is very good, for a FREE piece of software. If that is all you want to do is create a schematic, you're done. It has most symbols built in and missing ones are easy to create. Whether you ever convert the schematic to a PCB is up to you.
Attached schematic was created by ExpressSCH. The PDF was "Printed" by CutePDF, another nice program.

Attachments

• CLASS_D.pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 76
I use QuickCad, and made or modified my symbols. It is OK for standard electronics, but I had to do some that match old British auto schematics. Ya, know, maybe it is because of my age, but 99% of the time I use paper and pen with my old Pickett templates. Some of the greatest circuits in history were done on the back of an envelope.

if you follow Bob Pease's "Pease Porridge" column, many of his designs started out on the backs of envelopes, etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.