Best Enclosure and Crossover design software?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started out buying LAUD for measurement (DOS program replaced by Praxis windows based system).
For an extra $100 they gave me LspCAD. There was only one version back then in 1997.

I have stuck with LspCAD till now I have LspCADv6 Pro. I have played with JustMLS (MLS analyzer bundled with LspCAD for free), but use Praxis for any real job.

I am not familiar with using Soundeasy myself, but I do talk to people who use it.
I know for sure that it costs less then LspCADv6 Pro.
Modeling programs in general are a PITA to use.
There is not enough of a user base to force the designers to make them ergonomic.

The people I talk to like one or the other depending on specific abilities the program might have or the ease of use in general.
By the time someone comes to me it is because LspCAD can do something that another program can not or at least it is a pain to make it do it.

I think either Soundeasy or LspCAD covers the same territory so you have to come down to specifics, which is useless if you are new to modeling.

So I will make it easy, since I use LspCAD I will suggest you buy that.

One thing I have started to use in SoundEasy is it's capability to allow for two calibration files for measurement. One is to compensate for the microphone, the other for IEC baffle calibration. This way I will always know that the data I measured is data for 2pi radiation space. This is convenient when one creates a driver database and use it for vaious speaker systems.

The ergonomic issues are always going to exist when one switches between various software, and personal preferences are really diverted. But it does seem SoundEasy is gradually improving. Right now it at least seems to adopt the general concept such that the main menus follow a design workflow where you most probably will follow the menues from left to right and then back in a cyclic manner.

The good thing is that it seems to be updated at least once annually. I normally keep a wish list for what is desireable, and send it to the company for consideration. If a specific feature gets implimented, or if it is not desireable any more, then I take it off the list. The benefit is that hopfully it grows with us and meet our needs.

soongsc said:
One thing I have started to use in SoundEasy is it's capability to allow for two calibration files for measurement. One is to compensate for the microphone, the other for IEC baffle calibration. This way I will always know that the data I measured is data for 2pi radiation space. This is convenient when one creates a driver database and use it for vaious speaker systems.

George,

That is a great idea.

soongsc said:
The good thing is that it seems to be updated at least once annually. I normally keep a wish list for what is desireable, and send it to the company for consideration. If a specific feature gets implimented, or if it is not desireable any more, then I take it off the list. The benefit is that hopfully it grows with us and meet our needs. [/B]

I have been using Soundeasy since version 4 (about 9 years) and the interface has improved a lot since then. Bohdan is good about adding new features and changes suggested by the users. Not to mention he always supports the annual DIY event here in Iowa.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.