Vacuum Tube Computer Simulation Modeling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HELLO

HAS ANYONE OUT THERE USED ANY COMPUTER MODELING SOFTWARE FOR VACUUM TUBE AMPLIFIERS ??

SOMETHING LIKE WINSPICE OR PSPICE ?

IF SO ARE THERE ANY THAT ARE FREE OR 30 DAY EVALUATION FULLY FUNCTIONING TYPES ????

I FIND A FEW REFERENCES ON THE WEB BUT THEY SEEM QUITE OLD 2003, 2004 ETC.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A PARTICULAR PROGRAM THAT WOULD MODEL SOMETHING LIKE A DYNACO ST70 ?????

DOES SPICE DATA EXIST FOR THE 12AX7 AND EL84 ????

THANK YOU MUCH

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi oldheathkitphil,

Please.
Stop yelling and turn your caps key off.

Please do a search and look in the tubes forum in past posts. There are commercial products available for you and some free models and programs you can use.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Lots of tube models will work in LTspice which is based on Berkley Spice 3. No limitations on number of nodes or components. Free and very powerful. Users group on yahoo groups.

There are models for just about all common audio tubes, and quite a few uncommon ones as well.

Send me an email at directdotheatedatgmaildotcom and I'll send you the library and symbols you need.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I agree, LTSpice is the best choice, being free for personal use. As mentioned already, Duncan Amps is the place to go. You can get the software there and quite a few models for diodes, triodes, pentodes, FETs, junction transistors, zeners and other SS devices.

Users group on yahoo groups.
There is, but it seems to be totally disorganized, which makes it just about impossible to find anything useful. The 'help' function in LTSpice itself is also useless. It may sound ungrateful to complain about free software, but it does seem a shame for a wonderful product like this to be rendered difficult to use, just because no-one could write proper 'help' for it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ray_moth said:
I agree, LTSpice is the best choice, being free for personal use. As mentioned already, Duncan Amps is the place to go. You can get the software there and quite a few models for diodes, triodes, pentodes, FETs, junction transistors, zeners and other SS devices.

There is, but it seems to be totally disorganized, which makes it just about impossible to find anything useful. The 'help' function in LTSpice itself is also useless. It may sound ungrateful to complain about free software, but it does seem a shame for a wonderful product like this to be rendered difficult to use, just because no-one could write proper 'help' for it.

While LTspice Help is not the easiest or clearest Help I can think of it is far from useless.. I use it fairly frequently as I discover more features I didn't know the program had. Incidentally I use LTSPice in preference to Cadence at work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.