Spice simulation - Page 129 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 07:46 AM   #1281
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
The battery will charge fine with ripple on the supply. There are some techniques (probably discredited) for pulse charging batteries to get more power into them. The circuit is essentially a resistor limited charging circuit. It doesn't have any sophistication in limiting the current when the battery reaches full charge etc.

Most commercial chargers have just enough cap to function (more costs more. . .)
A battery does not care how much ripple it has from the charger.
An old fashioned selenium rectifier battery charger had no capacitance.
The ripple went from 0Vdc to > battery plate voltage.

The battery absorbs the current and uses that to create a chemical reaction that "stores" the charge.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 08:42 PM   #1282
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
A battery does not care how much ripple it has from the charger.
An old fashioned selenium rectifier battery charger had no capacitance.
The ripple went from 0Vdc to > battery plate voltage.

The battery absorbs the current and uses that to create a chemical reaction that "stores" the charge.

Formation of gas bubbles in a flooded lead acid is that the battery is reaching full charge ,hydrogen on negative plate and oxygen on positive plate.. this is from some webpage if i remember correctly.. but why high ripple chargers bubble more? maybe more actual power/time ? and i am not in rush to charge my batteries and i want them to survive at least 5 years and want one charger what can charge anything from ups 7,2ah gel battery to 120-150 ah truck/nautic (yes i dont care if i leave battery for few days on charger)..

....but i cant find that .op menu in pspice nowhere , so used some 7a diodes that were already programed
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 01:09 AM   #1283
diyAudio Member
 
keantoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Blog Entries: 2
The .op button is the last button on the right of the toolbar at the top of the screen.

PS: the screenshot you posted was LTspice, not Pspice. I assume you're still using LTspice.

It seems like you should get an SMPS to replace the power supply, because it will take an enormous trafo or cap bank to get ripple low enough, which will probably cost more than a SMPS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 03:18 AM   #1284
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
The .op button is the last button on the right of the toolbar at the top of the screen.

PS: the screenshot you posted was LTspice, not Pspice. I assume you're still using LTspice.

It seems like you should get an SMPS to replace the power supply, because it will take an enormous trafo or cap bank to get ripple low enough, which will probably cost more than a SMPS.
that solves mystery why pspice models i downloaded didnt work

i just have one mean well 9a 35v lying around doing nothing
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 04:08 AM   #1285
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitonitoni View Post
Formation of gas bubbles in a flooded lead acid is that the battery is reaching full charge ,hydrogen on negative plate and oxygen on positive plate.. this is from some webpage if i remember correctly.. but why high ripple chargers bubble more? maybe more actual power/time ? and i am not in rush to charge my batteries and i want them to survive at least 5 years and want one charger what can charge anything from ups 7,2ah gel battery to 120-150 ah truck/nautic (yes i dont care if i leave battery for few days on charger)..
You can slow charge those chemistries. Still the SLA needs somewhat different care than a flooded cell. For the wet cell the best measure is the specific gravity. Finding one of those gadgets may be difficult. For the sla follow the mfr's guidance. They both may need a periodic charge with more that a small current. Read this for better info: Charging Information For Lead Acid Batteries ? Battery University

The small charger for the 7.5 AH SLA may not be enough to charge the 150AH battery at all, not able to overcome self discharge.
__________________
Demian Martin
Product Design Services
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 09:32 PM   #1286
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: croatia
interesting that was page i read info that was mentioned before... it is not that small charger and with bigger battery(i charged 120ah no problem in 2 days) it just stays on around 4 amps for second day and then current goes down to around 1 amp and stays at that current below 13v after that current goes lower . battery was later checked with inverter and pc and amp together around 500w voltage stays well over 12v and i was using heavy load on pc and amps on normal volume so it worked well , i just need one 4700uf condenser to lower ripple a little, lt1083 is used and max current maybe around 5,5-6,5a when charging fully discharged battery ,i will buy device what mesures cranking amps it is available on ebay so i will use that to be 100% sure battery is charged
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 10:58 PM   #1287
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Blog Entries: 3
4A X 2 Days (192 AH) should charge and 120 AH battery. 4A into a 7.5 AH battery will charge it in around 2 hours. Left on there, if it doesn't taper down, the battery will be cooked and become useless.
__________________
Demian Martin
Product Design Services
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 02:28 PM   #1288
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
4A X 2 Days (192 AH) should charge and 120 AH battery. 4A into a 7.5 AH battery will charge it in around 2 hours. Left on there, if it doesn't taper down, the battery will be cooked and become useless.
yes but this small battery charges around 1 day
it faster goes to 13v so current drops after half hour and nothing gets baked that was purpose of this charger in first place and this small batteries require slightly higher voltage to charge so there is no problem just problems with simulations which i dont know how to use right ..
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:37 PM   #1289
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
bimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Depok, West of Java
I have model for IRF9610 from diyaudio, but I can not found IRF610 model. Anyone have IRF610 model?
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 12:29 AM   #1290
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Back to battery test....Specific Gravity tester for fluid immersed lead-acid type..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ot...FQ-DfgodApUA9g

Cheap and reliable... New digital instruments are in the $$ thousands....the old way is still affordable and available, and will give accurate and repeatable readings.

Cheers and good listening...
the Audiowolf
__________________
Live music is real,
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with Spice simulation overmind Everything Else 4 23rd December 2002 04:58 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2