Spice simulation - Page 116 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2012, 09:16 PM   #1151
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

TVR, as for tweeters, you might try AMT's with pure current drive (that is, you must go active then). That will settle any issues with the SO
Old 8th April 2012, 10:26 PM   #1152
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Active is an easy go, as I have saved up extra small Rotels. I do need to make a better crossover. I am still using a cheap Bheringer. When I remember AMT's it was a long time ago. It may be worth thinking about as they do work in a totally different manner. I have not been happy with any ribbon drivers I have heard. I'll look into them a bit. Sometimes though, the mainstream remains mainstream for a reason.
Old 3rd July 2012, 04:02 PM   #1153
diyAudio Member

Calling all SPICE gurus! I am trying to build some models of some "sustained beta", high fT (for the voltage/current rating) transistors and I'm having issues getting hFE vs Ic and fT vs Ic to match SPICE vs reality. If you can, please see this thread, from post #47 onwards. Thanks in advance!
Old 20th June 2013, 04:40 PM   #1154
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default odd plotting tool for .measure data

takes tables of data from the output log, generated by .measure commands

in examples\Educational\FRA folder

inscrutable directions - but I got it to work

could be an approach to answer David's interest in Nichols plotting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
Well, a Bode Step is a rather specific response function, not just any arbitrary kink.
Nyquist is just a particular presentation of the response.
Experts like Lurie and Horowitz find Nichols plots more convenient for this kind of work and I have started to think so too.
You may want to try them.

Best wishes
David

Last edited by jcx; 20th June 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 21st June 2013, 03:58 PM   #1155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDymond View Post
Calling all SPICE gurus! I am trying to build some models of some "sustained beta", high fT (for the voltage/current rating) transistors and I'm having issues getting hFE vs Ic and fT vs Ic to match SPICE vs reality. If you can, please see this thread, from post #47 onwards. Thanks in advance!
Hi Harry,

I assume you are talking about BJT power transistors, perhaps like the ThermalTraks. When I did the models for my power transistors, this was the biggest problem. I suspect that the the ordinary SPICE models do not have enough parameters, or do not adequately accomodate, hfe and ft very well in the high current beta-droop region. I may have said something about that in the SPICE modeling chapter in my book.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 21st June 2013, 05:55 PM   #1156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cordell View Post
Hi Harry,

I assume you are talking about BJT power transistors, perhaps like the ThermalTraks. When I did the models for my power transistors, this was the biggest problem. I suspect that the the ordinary SPICE models do not have enough parameters, or do not adequately accomodate, hfe and ft very well in the high current beta-droop region. I may have said something about that in the SPICE modeling chapter in my book.

Cheers,
Bob
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your message. The models I was working on were for the 2SA1930 and 2SC5171 driver transistors, and the D44H11 and D45H11 low-voltage (60 V) driver/output transistors.

You can be forgiven for forgetting this, given how long is the thread about your book, but we have already discussed this (note that the post you quoted above was from almost one year ago). Please see post numbers 2434, 2435 and 2436 in your Power Amplifier Book thread.

Your book served as an excellent introduction to spice modelling and I wouldn't have got anywhere without it. I also learned a lot from Andy_C's posts. I believe using some advanced parameters a better fit could be achieved, but I ran out of time. As long as you keep the operating conditions of the transistors away from the problem areas, the models that I arrived at match data-sheet and other measured parameters very closely.

Do you have a document where you keep track of feedback on your book and ideas for the second edition? I had hoped that some of the discussion we had about transistor modelling would make its way into such a document assuming that it exists.
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:03 PM   #1157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDymond View Post
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your message. The models I was working on were for the 2SA1930 and 2SC5171 driver transistors, and the D44H11 and D45H11 low-voltage (60 V) driver/output transistors.

You can be forgiven for forgetting this, given how long is the thread about your book, but we have already discussed this (note that the post you quoted above was from almost one year ago). Please see post numbers 2434, 2435 and 2436 in your Power Amplifier Book thread.

Your book served as an excellent introduction to spice modelling and I wouldn't have got anywhere without it. I also learned a lot from Andy_C's posts. I believe using some advanced parameters a better fit could be achieved, but I ran out of time. As long as you keep the operating conditions of the transistors away from the problem areas, the models that I arrived at match data-sheet and other measured parameters very closely.

Do you have a document where you keep track of feedback on your book and ideas for the second edition? I had hoped that some of the discussion we had about transistor modelling would make its way into such a document assuming that it exists.
Hi Harry,

Yes, I do have a whole folder on feedback for the second edition and have watched many of the threads for good ideas, both in terms of what people would like to see added and expanded upon, and in terms of things I see discussed on the threads that should be covered. On top of all else, I greatly appreciate feedback from folks like you who discover errors in the book.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 25th June 2013, 12:40 AM   #1158
diyAudio Member

Default EKV MOSFET models?

Mr. Cordell, if I may be permitted to remind you to search for your EKV MOSFET models ... Yours most humbly & respectfully .. grovel grovel
Old 25th June 2013, 01:26 AM   #1159
diyAudio Member

I have to chime in here, I have been quite anxious hoping I'll have some EKV models to use.
Old 25th June 2013, 03:08 AM   #1160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
Mr. Cordell, if I may be permitted to remind you to search for your EKV MOSFET models ... Yours most humbly & respectfully .. grovel grovel
Hi kgrlee,

Sorry I have been slow on this. Just got back from vacation and catching up, with a very tight week ahead. I'll try to see if I can get them out next week. I looked for and found the models, but have gotten myself confused about how/whether they are properly/reasonably treating Cgs and Cgd. I have to go back and retrace some steps to check that out. To some extent, it may be a matter of me trying to figure out where I left them. I'm pretty sure the DC and detailed EKV model stuff is right, however. I'll try to get back to it next week and see what I can do. Guess I'll have to go back and re-read some of my book to catch back up :-) My apologies for the delay.

Cheers,
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!