Spice simulation - Page 106 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2011, 06:47 PM   #1051
diyAudio Member

Just Google it.
Old 13th October 2011, 03:53 AM   #1052
diyAudio Member

Edmund, this is a very poor answer.

As a rough rule of thumb, the inductance of a pc trace will be 100 nH/inch. Maybe, Howard Johnson, has some equations to cover this and also the mutual inductance. See: Signal Consulting, Inc. - Dr. Howard Johnson
Old 13th October 2011, 03:57 AM   #1053
diyAudio Member

Oops, it is 10-15 nH/inch.
Old 13th October 2011, 04:53 AM   #1054
diyAudio Member

Capacitor ESL is supposed to be about 6nH/cm I think.

Thanks,
- keantoken
Old 13th October 2011, 09:48 AM   #1055
diyAudio Member

Default rules of thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawreyrw View Post
Edmund, this is a very poor answer.
[snip]
Yes, I know it was a lame and lousy answer. I wasn't in the right mood. Sorry.
Besides, I wanted to avoid a discussion about the accuracy of these rules of thumb, as there are many of them.

BTW, normally I'm called Edmond.

Cheers,
E.
Old 14th November 2011, 09:49 PM   #1056
diyAudio Member

Default Simulation in the Browser

Hey Guys, Not sure if this is the right place to post - but we are considering adding simulation to Upverter.com and I'd love to chat with some of you about what it would need to be able to do to be useful - and how we can avoid re-engineering the wheel.

feel free to email: zak@upverter.com

Thanks!
Zak
Old 14th November 2011, 10:53 PM   #1057
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhomuth View Post
. . . we are considering adding simulation to Upverter.com . . . what it would need to be able to do to be useful . . . avoid re-engineering the wheel.
Whenever I'm aware that I'm reinventing a wheel I'm haunted by the knowledge that I may inadvertently leave a corner on it someplace - so I make an effort to understand and emulate, as much as possible, the craftsmanship displayed by previous wheelmakers.

Take a good look at the capabilities of LTSpice, a no-charge circuit simulator available from Linear Technology at < Linear Technology - Design Simulation and Device Models >. You should also look at the User's Group, < LTspice : LTspice/SwitcherCAD III >.

Although LTSpice surpasses both the capability and performance of commercial programs costing thousands of dollars per copy, keep in mind that it doesn't claim to be anything more than a circuit simulator. It will not teach you circuit design or network analysis. The schematic diagrams it produces are straightforward and readable, but not up to the standards of many corporate Configuration Management systems. LTSpice will not help you keep track of parts lists, drawing changes, or lay out your printed wiring boards. That may make it an excellent addition to your project, so contact the program's author and architect, Mike Engelhardt , to discuss your specific concept.

The major shortcoming of LTSpice is a lack of comprehensive, well-done, documentation, tutorials, and user support documents - so many third-parties have stepped in to create them. You'll find numerous tutorials and examples in the "Files" and "Links" sections of the User's Group.

Dale

p.s. -
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhomuth View Post
. . . feel free to email:
In a forum such as this I much prefer to see discussions conducted as much as possible in the open, public forum rather than taken off-line to private exchanges between individuals. That allows everybody to benefit from - and contribute to - the conversation.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:46 AM   #1058
ontoaba is offline ontoaba  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Stuart View Post
Maybe Candy is lying, but I never trust these measurements performed by such magazines. Besides, as you said, it's difficult to check the performance of a Halcro by means of an AP, for example. They should consult you to get reliable numbers.

Built? No, I'm retired and don't have the facilities any longer to build such amp. But I have designed amp's on paper with a thd (at 20kHz) around 20ppb. If some body give me the money and facilities to build such thing, I should really love it.

Well, it depends on the tools and models, and of course who is doing the simulation, it's really an art, just as building the real thing, to understand the power and limitations of a simulator.
Anyhow, my latest design shows, a thd (20kHz) of 20ppb. Maybe my sim is one order of magnitude wrong, that still leaves a 0.2ppm of distortion.

Cheers, Edmond.

edit: if you are really interested in my design, I'll send you the schematic (confidentially, of course).
0.2ppm 20kHz is hard to achieved with conventional method even in sim.
Is your design similar with halcro's? I got 15ppb 1kHz THD for output stage only. Or did you use EC?

halcro amplifier

Last edited by ontoaba; 17th December 2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:50 AM   #1059
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontoaba View Post
0.2ppm 20kHz is hard to achieved with conventional method even in sim.
Is your design similar with halcro's? I got 15ppb 1kHz THD for output stage only. Or did you use EC?

halcro amplifier
Hi Ontoaba,

The schematic is lost or has been deleted and I can't remember all the details. Probably a used a CFB IPS and a CFB OPS, most likely combined with TMC. Anyhow no HEC or Halcro techniques. The IPS and VAS had also cascodes in order to eliminate the Early effect. I do remember that it was a very complex amp (lots of trannies) and I abandoned the concept not only because of that, but also because I realized that in real life 20ppb @ 20kHz (or even 200ppb) is out of reach.

Cheers,
E.
Old 10th February 2012, 06:14 PM   #1060
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Trying to figure out SIMetrix. Of course the very first circuit I want to look at has some older transistors not in their library. I have a text string Fairchild is nice enough to supply ( 2N5551) The 388 pages of the users manual does not help me know how to get this part into the program. Could anyone offer some suggestions?

Hide this!Advertise here!