• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSSA V1.6 docs and buyers list

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Sonny and all,

It's been a long time since I had a listened to my TSSA V1.6. The last time I did a comparison between that & my DC linked SE 3 stage mosfet amp the general impression was that my amp sounded superior. Technically it had a much better PSSR and I thought that was the key difference. I planned to build a regulated PSU and compare again . . . but I never got around to it. Both amps were powered with full differential choke regulated power supplies.

However, Since then I have made several significant changes to the mains supply arrangements. I now have the following mains arrangements:

1) 1000VA EI isolation transformer with balanced o/p followed by a simple passive filter.

2) A 500W USP that gives a clean sinewave output at all times.

After much experimentation I came to the simple conclusion that my system sounded best when everything was plugged into the USP. Compared with raw mains this gave a big improvement.

This came as something of a surprise to me as every piece of equipment already had CLC filtration after the bridges and all of the line level things already had mains filtration but never-the-less the improvement with the UPS was very clear.

Adding the 1000VA EI transformer with added filtration upstream brought further improvments.

Today I did another comparison between my own amp & TSSA V1.6 - This time it was a different story.

With this much improved PSU arrangements the previous slightly rough "character" of the TSSA V1.6 has dissappeared. There still seems to be some "character" but it is now much more benign and now for the first time I am beginning to hear just how good this amp can sound. Everything is presented very clearly in a very relaxed way. The imaging seems somewhat more clearly defined than my 3 stage amp.

I will do more listening over the next few days but right now I am enjoying the TSSA V1.6 very much and this is putting two stage amps at the top of my list of priorities :)

Sonny, I will email you about possible upgrade paths.

cheers

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.