• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSSA V1.6 docs and buyers list

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sonny.
Got the boards built up today, but will not get to listen, as I accidentally clipped R3 when trimming wire after solder. What brand SMD's did you use. I have an order coming from Mouser and I can add it.
Mike, Salas,
Any mods that you have done that have improved things. I have read a few, but do not know where the final decision stands. Going with Caddock TF for important spots, as I have heard this amp is worth it and i like the sound of these. If other suggestions, please let me know.
I will be running 26V rails and will try bias at 1A, as I see that Vgeorge has done so.
PSU will be dual mono with 400VA transformer and 44mF per rail.
Also,
Little unsure about all the WIMa's I got. NOt sure which to use, as ther are just a couple of spots and I have an excess. No part numbers, so there value is not so clear either.

Last edited:
Sonny.
Got the boards built up today, but will not get to listen, as I accidentally clipped R3 when trimming wire after solder. What brand SMD's did you use. I have an order coming from Mouser and I can add it.
Mike, Salas,
Any mods that you have done that have improved things. I have read a few, but do not know where the final decision stands. Going with Caddock TF for important spots, as I have heard this amp is worth it and i like the sound of these. If other suggestions, please let me know.
I will be running 26V rails and will try bias at 1A, as I see that Vgeorge has done so.
PSU will be dual mono with 400VA transformer and 44mF per rail.
Also,
Little unsure about all the WIMa's I got. NOt sure which to use, as ther are just a couple of spots and I have an excess. No part numbers, so there value is not so clear either.

I prefer to use vishay or yageo,

R3 is an 100R 1% 100ppm.

Mouser link
CRCW0805100RFKTA Vishay/Dale | Mouser

C12 and C13 should be at least 100pF Fkp2 (red wima) when the mosfet is EZW20N20/EZW20P20

If you could stretch to zfoils, I would prefer them. I think that Sonny uses them too. But around 25usd each!
I used them in a phono stage and could hear the difference. In a power amp I don' t know.
I think that dales are good enough.

Z foil is like water is for fish. But i do not think it is worth changing all the resistors to z foil. -> 700USD per channel!!!

Listened to the amp some this morning. It has a very articulate and crisp sound to it. nice airy cymbals and good snap with the drums. I think you can tell it is a very fast, high bandwidth amp. It does feel a little restricted at the moment. Doesn't have the tone of some of my other amps. Definite PP topology signature. That being said, I think it is about tweaking it a little more. The potential for excellence is there. Feels like it is just a touch away. I am going to try the lower gain setting as well as the exchange of the bypass caps Mike spoke about. I have bias @1A and PRP 1W resistors in important positions. I am going to listen to it on my FR system now, as it tends to really reveal the potential of an amp. All the above is being picky, as overall it is a wonderful amp. I can see how Vgeorge's horns could really make it come alive. Also, the speakers I am listening to it on, currently, are only 86dB

Get the plastic bypasses out first thing IMHO.

We talking C4-7, or just C6-7? Replacement recomendations? Ihave some Vishay MKP1837

And tell us whats your PSU, Buzz.

Dual mono. 44mF per rail. It hasnt held back other amps to this point.

It feels like something wonderful is just below a thin veil. Right now it sounds good, but not special. Too many people I trust says it sounds excellent, so I assume it just needs loving touch. I will hook up to directly to DAC later this evening.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When I was at Vgeorge's making the folded simplistic test using the TSSA we took out all plastic bypass capacitors for a test. Both from the rails and the feedback. That changed the tone to completely natural without lessening the resolution. The high resolution of the TSSA was very noticeable as a trait in general. I recommend you listen without any plastic before researching plastic types so to have such a reference too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.