• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSSA V1.6 docs and buyers list

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi vgeorge,

Can you explain your PSU arrangements ?

I found different PSUs made a big difference.

I'm currently building new PSU for mine.

Will eventually try an actively regulated supply but for now I'm building a new CLC supply using multiple 50V 2,200uF Panasonic FCs.

I run an 40A IXYS bridge to 4700uF 0.1R 22000uF.
Dual mono with two transformers.
Also did not install the small bypass caps for the time being.
Need to do some housekeeping also on the input cables as it seems to get a slight hiss from them on my very sensitive speakers.
I' m sure that every improvement in the PS would be worthwhile.
I' m looking forward for your results in the regulates PS.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
collecting my BOM

Hello, I'm going for my first time amp build. Is it advisable to use Soft Start & Speaker Turn-On Delay and DC Protector Boards together with this amp? Also, what is my best shot for HIFI2000 enclosure, if I'll go with double mono PSU arrangement. I'm thinking about this one: modushop.biz

What bothers me with above, is that heatsink figures are not explicitly stated. My guess, these are 300mm heatsinks (as per other 4U models) that are rated at 0.31 C/W, so it should be alright.

I think a 0.31 c/w heatsink will be fine.

about the other ideas, different people will have different opinions but ultimately you have to think through your priorities and choose the elements that you want / need.

personally I always go to sound quality as a priority over convenience etc.

This amp has no turn on thump that I have ever noticed so having a relay on the o/p does not seem logical to me unless you build in DC sensing which I think may be a bit over the top with AC Feedback.

slow start seems like a sensible idea to me - less violent start up which I think means that a fastblow mains fuse can be a smaller value.

Hello, I'm going for my first time amp build. Is it advisable to use Soft Start & Speaker Turn-On Delay and DC Protector Boards together with this amp? Also, what is my best shot for HIFI2000 enclosure, if I'll go with double mono PSU arrangement. I'm thinking about this one: modushop.biz

What bothers me with above, is that heatsink figures are not explicitly stated. My guess, these are 300mm heatsinks (as per other 4U models) that are rated at 0.31 C/W, so it should be alright.

For building an amp, i have made a demo amp myself using the same chassis. And it does not get untouchable...

I dissipate 70 watt in each heatsink.

On how to build a psu there is a guide from TI.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snaa057a/snaa057a.pdf

I would recommend. not less than 300VA for two channels. For dual supply i would use 250VA or more myself with 25VAC secondary: Look at my search at Farnell

For an IEC inlet:

DD12.6121.111. - SCHURTER - FILTER, IEC, 6A, 2P SWITCH, 2P | Farnell United Kingdom

Remember fusedrawer:

4301.1401 - SCHURTER - FUSE DRAWER | Farnell United Kingdom

For capacitors choose can types 22000uF - 47000uF 40 - 63V, and choose EPCOS, Kemet: Digikey CAN type capacitor

Bridge rectifier 15 - 25A. Only remember to bolt them to chassis so that they can get the heat away: digikey bridge rectifier

Cheap and good speaker binding posts: digikey

If you want something more exclusive: All Binding Posts

I hope it helps a bit.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thank you, Sonny. It helps a lot, as it's a very comprehensive answer.

I'm off to read a TI guide then. As far as I see, in P2P TI PSU is a more complicated option for me than DIYaudio store boards. Still very curious to try...

Two questions. Is it worth trying something upscale toroids wise from the start? Something like toroidy.pl stuff from my neighbourhood?

If I would go two TX 300VA with 25V secondaries, then my Schurter IEC filter should be scaled at 12A, right?

Best,
Tomas

And I have a heatsink question please!

I am new to SS amplifier building but have a small stock of parts including a 200mm wide x 400mm high x 40mm deep (incl. 10mm back plate with 30mm heavily ridged tapered fins @ 10mm centres.) This looks to be high quality and my question is what hight do ~I need as external heat sink per side with [V1.6 in normal form on Sonny's PCBs]. I am afraid that 200mm square may be a little too much - in the very heavy enclosure which I have - as I assume that a tall sink is more efficient than the same square measurement with a long base/less height.

[The chassis / enclosure which I already have is made from 8mm sheet aloy, is very well ventilated top and bottom and has a lot of space.]

Looking at TI PSU build guide and a soft start circuit, I have a question: are there any shortcomings doing it P2P way vs etched pcb?

No, there is not shortcomings.

You could easily use the DIYaudio powersupply board

But do your self a favor and use capacitors designed for SMPS. They are simply better. And they will last longer in the heat.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Esperado, I do speak french, but that was too technical for my knowledge. Thanks for clearing it up.

Sonny, I'll grab Vishay/Dale with better tolerenace, thank you.

One more question. If my two mono Txs are of 6A Secondary Current Nom, should I size my power inlet up to 12A ?

Anyone bought from ebay? OK?
It is up to you to be aware of scams. Look at the evaluations of the seller, and pay via Paypal.
If the seller is Chinese, there is a risk the part is a fake, if the seller is professional from U.S. or European country, it is OK, and Paypal will give-you your money-back in case of any problem. I had bought a lot of stuff via Ebay, without any problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.