• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSSA V1.6 docs and buyers list

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In addition to changing the caps, I would still be sure to check solder joints on your connectors. If you had a loud buzz when you hooked everything up, it could very easily be a bad solder joint. I personally hate soldering RCA's and the like and have had the trouble before. Sometimes just pressing on the wire would stop it. The fact that the second channel was fine, increases my suspicions.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Absolutely, Buzz. Same thoughts here. I haven't soldered some of metal lugs, exactly on the buzzing channel. They might be a problem. Also signal cabling etc etc etc. I will look into all this first.

It's a hassle to dismantle and assemble the chassis, but there's no other way. Having said that, what about removing bypass caps, so I won't have to do it again?

What kind of scheme are you trying? Cap multiplier?

Yeah - but with a CFP o/p.

In spice I'm getting 10 - 15m ohm o/p between 10hz and 100Khz @ 1A depending on how it's configured

Also got a global FB design that I'll be building next that gives more like 1m ohm between 10hz and 50Khz in spice

Should being firing the 1st one up in about a week

edit: To clarify, those impedances quoted were without any o/p capacitance - was purely checking the regulator performance.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Not a day without a trouble. Changed C12 & C13, tightened all connectors. One channel starts too hot. With all the trimmers set to 0, it has a bias at 160 mV, 9V across J7 and J8. At first power up it was shooting over 250 mV and crickey hot after one minute, that is with 18V across J7 & J8. Could some part caught static while changing caps and soldering? Don't know what to think.

Hi Mike.

In the TSSA design we use JFET as cascode for the current source.

Before reading below, THE TSSA DOES SOUND GOOD but the Jfet has a few drawbacks:

Pros:

1) Easy to implement a "high impedance" current source.
2) Few components

Cons:

1) The Fets available is close to be obsoleted IMO 1 - 2 years time, you can get them from other companies specializing in Fets, but they are not as cheap as they should be.
2) Noise voltage on many Fets available is relatively high below 1KHz.
3) There is no complementary types available

4) For the input pair, the jfet will modulate the voltage across the bipolar input pair.
5) Difficult to get fet above 35V, and then you add a series resistor to get to the higher voltage....
5a) a resistor is noisy if not metal foil.

---------------------------------

So my approach is to use a hawksford cascode instead... Of course, it has to be tested how it sounds.
But i do not have noise problems with hawksford cascodes in my other designs...

I will also try to get rid of the ac couplings capacitors.

I expect a lot from those mods..

Not a day without a trouble. Changed C12 & C13, tightened all connectors. One channel starts too hot. With all the trimmers set to 0, it has a bias at 160 mV, 9V across J7 and J8. At first power up it was shooting over 250 mV and crickey hot after one minute, that is with 18V across J7 & J8. Could some part caught static while changing caps and soldering? Don't know what to think.

You have turned the trimmers the right way before powering up???:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.