A Tribute to fdegrove

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
10,000!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The diyAudio.com community wants to commemorate the 10,000th post of Frank deGrove and express our gratitude to him for his outstanding efforts and contributions to this community. Frank's postings are notable not just for their quantity but for their quality. He's been a great source of inspiration, information, guidance, and comradeship.

Thank you, Frank, and we're looking forward to the next 10,000!

The Administrators and Moderators of diyAudio.com

ace3000_1 (Trevor W)
Audiofreak (Daniel Flynn)
Bas Horneman
dhaen (John Daniel)
EC8010 (Eric Blair)
Jason (Jason Donald)
jean-paul (Jean-Paul )
peranders (Per-Anders Sjöström)
pinkmouse (Al Crooks)
planet10 (Dave Dlugos)
roddyama (Rod Yamashita)
SY (Stuart Yaniger)
Variac (Mark Cronander)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

We've also given Frank a spiffy new title to go with his gray hair.

Aaaaaarghhhhhhh....
Just when I've been spending most of the Summer biking to keep me fit....Pfffttttt.

Thanks to all you guys for putting up with me. It's a pleasure knowing you all.

While I'm at it, congrats to Variac and Netlist for being the newest moderators. You'll do a great job.

A special thanks to you SY and the modcrew for the honours.

Cheers, ;)

According to the site search ...

this is Frank's first post, in case there was any confusion between quantity and quality ...

MC Stepup using 6dj8 Post #9
Sorry I spotted your problem this late.
I use a circuit that may just do the trick.
Basically I don't like to use transformers at this very critical frontend since any flaws will be amplified througout the audio chain.
Here is what you can do :

- 2 x 6dj8 in parallel per channel (dual mono) at 24 vdc regulated with a 7824 ic.
- regulate the 12 vdc heater supply with a 7812 ( 2 x 6 vdc)

- use a fet such as BF 244A as a current source for the anode current regulation ( or similar fet, idss must be the same ).

-cathodes are grounded.

-signal is taken from the anodes.

I used MIT metalized polysterenes since I could not find any colourations.(Metalized teflon is best on paper here but was not commercially available at the time)
Keep in mind to keep the signal path as short as feasable.

This sounds very well,noise is no problem unless perhaps if you'd
use ridiculously low output MC's.
Low level information is excellent provided the rest of the system is up to it.Transients are lightning fast,I use OTL amps so nothing there in the way of ringing or overshoot.
Frequency response is deliberately limited from 16 Hz to 1MHz in order not to burn the woofer coils.

The cartridge is not loaded and no input cap is used for ultimate transparancy.I used a Jan Allaerts MC hand built cartridge but others may require loading.Anyway that's simple enough to solve.

Best rgds,

Frank De Grove.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

(Belgian, of course)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.