diyAudio Logo Competition Draft Entries - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2004, 01:23 AM   #211
diyAudio Member

Zix,

I like #204! Just a quick thought:

What if you moved the sound wave to the right, around the 'om' in com kept the text above a square wave, converting to a sine wave from left to right. Kind of the square wave for testing becomes a sine wave which is closer to music? Just a guess.

Good work! I like the fact that you chose the needle as well. Simple, elegant and quite appropriate and I never even visit the analog forum :O

Sandy.

Old 19th June 2004, 01:52 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

I will make my point again. The spot where the logo needs to go on this page is short and wide. I have not seen any of these BBS boards that waste space on the left with a tall logo.

Consequently, the vertical height of the logo is constrained to less than 100 pixels. It is just the way that it is.

It has nothing to do with what you WOULD do. It has to do with what you CAN do. Very often the hard limits are what drive good design. This is one of them, IMHO.

So the waveform logo would be about 90 pixels tall and 40 pixels wide, and the text would be about six pixels tall, nearly unreadable. It would have to be enlarged to be halfway down many people's monitors to even be large enough to not have the text blurry and indistinct. Meanwhile, the white space on the top right would be basically wasted. Even though they are just monitor pixels and not paper, it still would feel like a waste to people.

BTW, I like the appearance of the sperm one (and its vertical height) but it is too focused on a sexual connotation to be useful. It is not that I'm prudish but a logo shouldn't have any distracting connotations. I also like the serif font you chose for that one.

But the wave pattern is a good idea. There is no reason why it can't be rearranged more horizontally. Try it, you might like it. Others may too.

Old 21st June 2004, 12:12 PM   #213
zix is offline zix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy H.
Zix,

I like #204! Just a quick thought:

What if you moved the sound wave to the right, around the 'om' in com kept the text above a square wave, converting to a sine wave from left to right. Kind of the square wave for testing becomes a sine wave which is closer to music? Just a guess.

Good work! I like the fact that you chose the needle as well. Simple, elegant and quite appropriate and I never even visit the analog forum :O

Sandy.
Thank you so much for your kind words, Sandy!
I think I understand how you envision it. IŽll give it a try tonight and see what gives.
/zix

Old 21st June 2004, 01:03 PM   #214
zix is offline zix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by geewhizbang

So the waveform logo would be about 90 pixels tall and 40 pixels wide, and the text would be about six pixels tall, nearly unreadable
Quote:
BTW, I like the appearance of the sperm one (and its vertical height) but it is too focused on a sexual connotation to be useful. It is not that I'm prudish but a logo shouldn't have any distracting connotations. I also like the serif font you chose for that one.
I agree with geewhizbang on the implications of ajjuŽs current "tall" logo contribution, although I would hesitate to come with any too definite judgement in favour of the "wide" versus the "tall" logo. Both things can be made to work, it all depends on the context. Also, at this stage I would think it is better not to impale anyones creativity with what has been done here or elsewhere, or how things usually are done in a web forum. So go for it, ajju!

Also, something to keep in mind here is that the "sperm" is an association that sch3matic made, not me. I was not in any way focussing on that subject when making the logo. I still donŽt. For me the focus lies in balancing shapes, sizes and readability and of course visualising diyaudio.com in an effective or interesting way.

IŽll keep using the same stylized type of logo for an alternative draft entry, so it will be interesting to see what kind of associations that come up this time...
And thanks, geewhizbang, for the font and appearance appreciation. WeŽll see if the font survives in my next entry. Thanks for the input!

Old 22nd June 2004, 12:19 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
Here is my latest entry. It looks similar to the current logo and should be right at home. I'm especially fond of the blue-gray and black lettering instead of the purple and black of the existing one.
Attached Images
File Type: gif diyaudio.gif (5.3 KB, 105 views)

Old 22nd June 2004, 09:08 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Devil_H@ck Send a message via AIM to Devil_H@ck Send a message via MSN to Devil_H@ck
It's sure got something, but I find it a bit too empty and a little to big. But I'm sure you could make something good out of it. Maybe you could add some kind of graphic/logo to it?

Old 22nd June 2004, 06:55 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
Thanks for your advice, Devil_H@ck. I've condensed the letter spacing, so it looks tidier and more compact. Sorry, still no graphics, except for two thin lines. See for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: gif diyaudio.com_logo1 copy.gif (5.8 KB, 90 views)

Old 22nd June 2004, 09:22 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Devil_H@ck Send a message via AIM to Devil_H@ck Send a message via MSN to Devil_H@ck
That better already I think, however it might have even more "punch" if you make the letters even thicker and closer to each other, maybe a bit smaller too (you could try Impact or Arial Bold).

Of course, that just what I think, please, do whatever you want .

Old 23rd June 2004, 05:49 AM   #219
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Devil_H@ck
(Arial Bold)
Please No.

dave

Old 23rd June 2004, 12:23 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Lol, ok, I told you not to listen to me . (But I do like Arial Bold .)

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!