Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Moving server this Sunday/Monday 30th July
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2017, 01:51 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default Moving server this Sunday/Monday 30th July

As a continuation of the service upgrades started on earlier this month ( Software Upgrades 10th July), diyaudio.com will be unavailable for up-to several hours from 10PM GMT this Sunday 30th July 2017. During this time we will be moving to a brand new server, and the IP addresses for diyAudio will also be changing.

All the work spent preparing and upgrading software this month will come to fruition as it allows us to shift our whole system to a new, modern server with the latest operating system. It will be HTTPS ready and I have got a full HTTPS-only configuration working well, however moving to HTTPS is not as simple as flicking a switch, there are myriad compromises and incompatibilities to be considered. I expect we will move to HTTPS within the next month.

Our new server has twice as much RAM (64GB), twice as many cores (8) and CPUs (32), enterprise grade SSDs, and an OS capable of making the most of the hardware. As many audiophiles can relate to, specs aren't everything and in our case we have a number of legacy issues courtesy of our aging forum platform and plugins, but I'm doing the best I can to ensure diyAudio is as secure, stable and fast as possible until we can move to XenForo in the next few months.

Prior to the software security upgrades this month, we were averaging 200ms for initial page generation (front page). After the upgrades we experienced about two weeks of 500-600ms while I debugged various issues with the new software modules, and upgraded more of our systems, and now we are back to a consistent and reasonable 250ms. The new server has been set up with an all new configuration, switching a monolithic memory hungry Apache+PHP for a highly optimised NginX + PHP-FPM configuration and preliminary tests look like it will substantially improve page response times. I'm confident when we eventually move to XenForo, the site will be "lightning fast".

There is a publicly viewable status update page here for anyone who'd like to know more about what work has been done, is in progress, and is yet to come: https://status.diyaudio.com. As you can see a lot of work has already been done, and we've made some great leaps forward in terms of our software stack, archiving outdated and EOL plugins, installing newer more secure plugins, configuring a new "best practice" mega-server ready for HTTPS, and auditing our advertising partners. With the move to our new server, we'll finally be free of operating system level hold-backs and ready to move forward with a migration to XenForo in the near future.

Last edited by Jason; 30th July 2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 30th July 2017, 02:10 AM   #2
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank you for all you hard work, Jason.

Tom
Old 30th July 2017, 09:54 AM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Xenforo is very powerful but a vertical learning curve for the admin staff. I thing anything is better than a wordpress based tree.
Old 30th July 2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ Jason

Here's a few good testing www's which can show how good, or not, your HTTPS config is

SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

https://www.httpvshttps.com

Free SSL Web Server Tester - Wormly

Plus, check out the highly recommened & FREE cert www too If you havn't already

Let's Encrypt - Free SSL/TLS Certificates

All the best with Everything
Old 30th July 2017, 06:28 PM   #5
kpsthakur is offline kpsthakur  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason, please confirm if Tapatalk plugin will be enabled soon after the upgrade
Old 31st July 2017, 12:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Administrator

The forum was just down for a few minutes, but we have not yet done the switchover. We will probably switch the DNS in about one hour's time.
Old 31st July 2017, 01:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Administrator

We are now live on the new server. There will no doubt be a few bugs to iron out. If you see anything major please let me know. The wiki will be down for a day or two, as it was not able to be beta tested in a development setting.
Old 31st July 2017, 02:03 AM   #8
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Great job!
Old 31st July 2017, 03:32 AM   #9
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of work behind the scenes, it is important for those of us who care about
DIYAudio site know what is going on behind the scenes etc. I for one appreciate it.

I'm sure you and other are aware how great and user friendly it is to use this DIYAudio
as opposed to yahoo groups. Yahoo is pretty worthless IMO and even trying to follow
threads etc is virtually impossible.

With all that you are doing do you have plans for the DIYAudio to use some type of
live video steaming/ conferencing type format, that could be use to show amp work
or pre amp trouble shooting live? participants could join and ask questions etc.
live while things transpire?
Old 31st July 2017, 03:38 AM   #10
phase is online now phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Bravo!
Many thanks...

Moving server this Sunday/Monday 30th JulyHide this!Advertise here!