diyAudio will be down this Sunday/Monday for upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Trying to access blogs I get a permission error.

Blogs have now been disabled while I try to resolve their issues. The blogs module is now very old but I'm trying to see if it can be revived.

You might also see a string of "?" images in the "Reply To Thread" message authoring box. This is due to disabling the Wiki (it seems to get its tentacles into everything).

I do apologize to anyone inconvenienced by the present (hopefully temporary) loss of the Wiki and Blogs systems. I am "on to it" and chasing down how and why they're having problems.

I can say I'm really looking forward to getting us moved over to some more modern software very soon.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
To be honest it's amazing that diyaudio has held up as well as it has. The code must be absolutely ancient, and I for one am looking forward to the upcoming big migration to a new platform. If for nothing else a diyaudio web page that plays nice with my Nexus 7 tablet...

As a heads up, blogs are of this writing still AWOL.

Jason, I offer my humble AMD 486 if needed. 20 years free of troubles, no more than a noisier or blocked fan ;-)

Attachments

• Banfield 486 01.JPG
    Banfield 486 01.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 316
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some odd problems posting in Firefox, the dialog does not size correctly, both initially and in edit mode where "Go Advanced" is selected. Reloading, etc does not seem to help. Some problems with some of the icons not loading I guess.

First shown is initial post, then edit (not in advanced mode)

Attachments

• post.PNG
    post.PNG
    109.7 KB · Views: 307
  • edit.PNG
    edit.PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 318
Aside from some missing ikons (blue boxes with question marks) in the advanced reply dialog, the forum seems pretty functional to me (on OSX 10.12.5 (Sierra), Safari).

Thanks for your efforts Jason.

It'll be ... um ... "fun" porting the forum over to the new system once the time comes. I hope the developers of the software will make a conversion script available for you.

Tom

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Some odd problems posting in Firefox, the dialog does not size correctly, both initially and in edit mode where "Go Advanced" is selected. Reloading, etc does not seem to help. Some problems with some of the icons not loading I guess.

First shown is initial post, then edit (not in advanced mode)

Blame the wiki for that one. I am waiting to hear back about how to de-tentacle it while they work on a fix for another problem it's having. Even after disabling it, it leaves "vestiges".

Joined 2000
Paid Member
So... there was unfortunately some collateral damage. I had tested the everything we were using was compatible with (or I had recoded it to work with) the latest version of PHP. Subsequently, I upgraded us to the latest (most secure) version of vBulletin. It was only a minor point version upgrade of vBulletin. It never occurred to me a minor point upgrade would break anything. However it turns out that it was more like a major point upgrade, and breaks support for a lot of legacy 3rd party software (Eg: our Gallery), as well as some of their in-house modules that you would never imagine they would break compatibility with (eg: the blog system).

As such, and having discussed this matter with the moderators, we feel it is in the best interests of the community in general not to downgrade to a previous version of vBulletin, but stay with the latest (and most secure) release. We are currently in a process of improving the overall stability and security of the website, and these older, now unsupported add-ins are only going to cause us more pain if we try to retain them.

As such:

1. The blogs area has been archived and made read only. All previous links and images will still work, however no new blogs or posts can be made. The archive is accessible here: diyAudio - Blogs and if there are any problems with existing links etc please post a bug report here.
  2. The gallery has been taken down. All previously uploaded images are still there and accessible, however no new uploads can be performed. The web based navigation has been removed and unless there is great consternation will remain removed.
  3. We are going to move forward with a migration to XenForo 1.5. XF2 may take longer that we would like, and there are too many great features waiting for us after the move to XF that we should not hold back. More details about the migration roadmap will be forthcoming over the next few weeks
  4. XF includes enhanced user pages which may provide an adequate replacement for the blogs system. If there is a better option we'll use that. Once the new system is live, we will attempt to migrate the old blogs to the new format/system.
  5. XF includes an inbuilt gallery, and again, once the new system is live, we will attempt to migrate images into that format/system.

On the plus side, we have now really tightened down the hatches for our current platform. There is still quite some work to be done upgrading more pieces of our current platform, and then moving the whole thing to a brand new server, and preparing for development of the new XF powered version of diyAudio, which will take a few months.

I may have found a bug as well. From the main page, www.diyaudio.com, I cannot navigate to any of the subforums. When I click a link, I get the following error:

Code:
#0  DBSEO::handle404() called at [/www/diyaudio/diyaudio.com/htdocs/forums/dbseo.php:511]

This error was obtained by trying to browse to the Solid State forum. I can, however, successfully navigate to individual threads whose titles appear in the "Recent Posts" box on this main page, and can also navigate to subforums from www.diyaudio.com/forums.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.