Donations / Paid Membership

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on getting the paid memberships / donations active any day now. Over the next week or so, some of you may find that there are some things you can't do or areas you can't access that you once could. For the time being, you'll likely get a very non-descript error like 'you dont have permission to do this'. Once things are sorted out a little better, I'll write some custom error messages to better explain why some areas / features are off limits to some users.

- Dan
diyAudio Administrator / Webmaster.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Dan,

Would it be too much extra coding to have a transition period, where for a while it would pop up a message saying something like "This function will be paid access only starting ....." letting members know what they will miss out on. Might cause a bit less frustration, and possibly reduce the number of queries as to why!!!

Either that or just post a list of all of the "paid only" areas up front :)

Also you might want to add a thread about the imminent changes in each forum. I only found out because I connected in from a computer I don't normally use and saw the "diy Auido needs a new server" on the main forum page. I normally never go to that page, instead go straight to the speaker forum. If there are others like me, there are probably a very large number of users who are unaware there is a problem or any changes imminent!

Tony.

Re: Features available to paid members

For the time being, this is what is on my list.

1. Posting in Off Topic (you'll notice that normal users can't post there anymore)
2. A special forum where the thread starter is the moderator for that thread.
I intend this area mostly for the seriously brainy people we have around here that like to think on the edge and discuss matters with other people that also brainy without worry of having the thread go off topic or have a bunch of comments by us less brainy folk that only slow the progress down
3. Custom titles (easy to implement, will be running in no time)
4. A Photo Gallery. I'm thinking paid members will be able to add to it and all members able to view it.
5. Other fun stuff.

Commercial Adverts and a Vendor Bazaar for manufacturers will also be offered. I'm yet to work out a fee structure for this and the best way to implement it so that it is minimally invasive to the end user.

Net effect is that the only thing registered users will notice is that they can't post in Off Topic anymore.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
while the circuit board sales, etc are frought with danger, T-shirts are essential. Not that much work to have made, and people will want them. I realize this will be phase 2 -right now you just have to keep everyhing going...

BEinga member to post in trading post is also a good idea

Re: Re: Features available to paid members

AudioFreak said:
2. A special forum where the thread starter is the moderator for that thread.
I intend this area mostly for the seriously brainy people we have around here that like to think on the edge and discuss matters with other people that also brainy without worry of having the thread go off topic or have a bunch of comments by us less brainy folk that only slow the progress down

This could get seriously interesting between some particularly vocal members..... Will the free registered users be able to read this forum? Post in the threads?

Just curious.

Mark

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
One thing you might want to consider is an "invited only" thread, where only people nominated by the thread starter can post.... I'm sure there are a few members who would be very pleased with something like that :) alternatively go the other way, and give the thread starter the option of blocking certain people :devilr:

Tony.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
my thoughts on this idea

As part of the thread starter = moderator idea, they will be able to block certain people from posting in the thread.

Ok not trying to be biased here in anyway, but i think that idea should have been in place from the start, many threads go off topic and we all get the odd fool in our threads from time to time, ive learnt to live with it but i think that idea should have been implemented at the start.

As for the paying membership idea, realy i mean im a major contributor in the video section, i help alot of people out, its not just me in my area but manny do, its volantry and its somthing that us more experienced guys like to do, now i am being told i have to pay people to help them out with their problems? sure i was once a noob in here but by no means did i just use this forum to learn in the stuff ive learnt, i went my own way and learnt from manny sources, if i do have to pay ill either do 1 of 2 things, leave or stay, but if i stay its going to have to be abit more then just being able to post pictures and boot people from my thread, i think the tshirt idea is the best that some have brought out, atleast then i can feel apart of somthing and see somthing for my hard earned dollars and im atleast getting somthing back ( for the time and work too), to me paying is a bad idea and those who dont pay cant post pics is also a bad idea, in the area of the video section and in the audio section no doubt pictures often speak more then words, trying to explain how somthing works or trying to create somthing new with out some sort of diagram is more or less impossble in some cases and all of this we will soon have to pay for, fair enough its not your guys fault and i apreciate the service this site has served me in the past and ive realised times are getting tough, but this would have to be the first paying forum ive ever heard about and i can start to count members leaving already on the idea, and now im going to have to pay to help others out? shouldnt they be paying the smart ones in here for advice rather then the other way round?

Trev

I'll say it again. There will always be a free membership. No one will be forced to pay anything. If anyone donates anything, it will be by their own choice. And let me say it again, regardless of whoever donates or does not donate, you will all still be welcome here. Just keep in mind that if we cannot get enough in donations / sponsorship / advertisement, the days of this community are numbered.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Video Freek

ok enough said, i think though after we clear this glitch up what we need to do is to make up our own box, this is a very big forum and has now got a good tradition of being one of the best forums out there if not the best for the areas we cover, i think in the future we are going to have to make up our own box to handle the trafic and to keep the costs down, im sure manny can donate parts to make a box and i know this has been discussed already from reading the last posts in the last thread on this hosting glich, and its not the box thats the issue but the connection, i may have a free server for u it costs me about $8 a year for the size u want in hdd , ram and cpu , bandwith ect so ill get back to u on that soon, the only other thing as u say with donations is to have a few advertisments on the site and store, id certainly like to have a tshirt or a cap lol but either way like anything there is always an issue so i wish u the best of luck an ill try to do what i can do to keep this great place going.

Trev

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The "smart guys" have to get something out of this already or they wouldn't do it. They get satisfaction helping lure others into an activity they enjoy, but it is also very clear that they get a goodly dose of ego gratification out of it too. It feels good to be acknowleged as an expert in something. Look how cranky some of them are until finally people start to take them seriously AFTER they have proven themselves- themn the are locked in!! bwahahahaha!

wintermute said:
One thing you might want to consider is an "invited only" thread, where only people nominated by the thread starter can post.... I'm sure there are a few members who would be very pleased with something like that :) alternatively go the other way, and give the thread starter the option of blocking certain people :devilr:
That would stop the sharing of knowledge which is the raison d'etre for forums. What would be the use of a thread open to a select group, even if it concerns only reading it? Only posting on invitation would be viable and maybe useful. Moderation by the starter seems a better idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.