Donations / Paid Membership - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2004, 02:02 PM   #1
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Default Donations / Paid Membership

I am working on getting the paid memberships / donations active any day now. Over the next week or so, some of you may find that there are some things you can't do or areas you can't access that you once could. For the time being, you'll likely get a very non-descript error like 'you dont have permission to do this'. Once things are sorted out a little better, I'll write some custom error messages to better explain why some areas / features are off limits to some users.

- Dan
diyAudio Administrator / Webmaster.
Old 3rd January 2004, 11:49 PM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dan,

Would it be too much extra coding to have a transition period, where for a while it would pop up a message saying something like "This function will be paid access only starting ....." letting members know what they will miss out on. Might cause a bit less frustration, and possibly reduce the number of queries as to why!!!

Either that or just post a list of all of the "paid only" areas up front

Also you might want to add a thread about the imminent changes in each forum. I only found out because I connected in from a computer I don't normally use and saw the "diy Auido needs a new server" on the main forum page. I normally never go to that page, instead go straight to the speaker forum. If there are others like me, there are probably a very large number of users who are unaware there is a problem or any changes imminent!

Tony.
Old 4th January 2004, 02:56 AM   #3
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Default Re: Features available to paid members

For the time being, this is what is on my list.

1. Posting in Off Topic (you'll notice that normal users can't post there anymore)
2. A special forum where the thread starter is the moderator for that thread.
I intend this area mostly for the seriously brainy people we have around here that like to think on the edge and discuss matters with other people that also brainy without worry of having the thread go off topic or have a bunch of comments by us less brainy folk that only slow the progress down
3. Custom titles (easy to implement, will be running in no time)
4. A Photo Gallery. I'm thinking paid members will be able to add to it and all members able to view it.
5. Other fun stuff.

Commercial Adverts and a Vendor Bazaar for manufacturers will also be offered. I'm yet to work out a fee structure for this and the best way to implement it so that it is minimally invasive to the end user.

Net effect is that the only thing registered users will notice is that they can't post in Off Topic anymore.
Old 4th January 2004, 10:02 AM   #4
amo is offline amo  United States
diyAudio Member

I would most certainly pay for this site. But I would pay even more if I could get a "printable version" of a thread, on a single page, with ALL GRAPHICS. This would be awsome!!!
Old 4th January 2004, 10:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hmmm...I really like a DIy-Audio Shirt...cool gfx...wow~!!!
Old 4th January 2004, 07:08 PM   #6
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Features available to paid members

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFreak
For the time being, this is what is on my list.......
Hi,
maybe
6. Posting in Trading post...

regards
Old 4th January 2004, 07:10 PM   #7
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amo
I would most certainly pay for this site. But I would pay even more if I could get a "printable version" of a thread, on a single page, with ALL GRAPHICS. This would be awsome!!!
Yes, that would be extremely useful.
Has there been any estimate on subscription costs yet?
Old 4th January 2004, 07:58 PM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

while the circuit board sales, etc are frought with danger, T-shirts are essential. Not that much work to have made, and people will want them. I realize this will be phase 2 -right now you just have to keep everyhing going...

BEinga member to post in trading post is also a good idea
Old 5th January 2004, 01:15 AM   #9
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by paulb

Yes, that would be extremely useful.
Has there been any estimate on subscription costs yet?

It looks like anyone that donates USD15 or more will get 12 months access to the extra features. Those in economic hardship etc will be able to apply for a discount rate. Consider this tentative, it may well change over the coming days.
Old 5th January 2004, 04:34 AM   #10
mbroker is offline mbroker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Features available to paid members

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFreak
2. A special forum where the thread starter is the moderator for that thread.
I intend this area mostly for the seriously brainy people we have around here that like to think on the edge and discuss matters with other people that also brainy without worry of having the thread go off topic or have a bunch of comments by us less brainy folk that only slow the progress down
This could get seriously interesting between some particularly vocal members..... Will the free registered users be able to read this forum? Post in the threads?

Just curious.

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!