Donations / Paid Membership - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2004, 08:31 AM   #11
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

I haven't worked the finer details out yet. Free members will be able to read it but I'm not sure if I'll let them post there (i'd say 80% chance they will be able to post) but only paid members will be able to start the thread.
Old 6th January 2004, 01:29 AM   #12
just another
diyAudio Moderator

One thing you might want to consider is an "invited only" thread, where only people nominated by the thread starter can post.... I'm sure there are a few members who would be very pleased with something like that alternatively go the other way, and give the thread starter the option of blocking certain people

Tony.
Old 6th January 2004, 01:35 AM   #13
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

As part of the thread starter = moderator idea, they will be able to block certain people from posting in the thread.
Old 6th January 2004, 07:37 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ace3000_1
Default my thoughts on this idea

Quote:
As part of the thread starter = moderator idea, they will be able to block certain people from posting in the thread.
Ok not trying to be biased here in anyway, but i think that idea should have been in place from the start, many threads go off topic and we all get the odd fool in our threads from time to time, ive learnt to live with it but i think that idea should have been implemented at the start.

As for the paying membership idea, realy i mean im a major contributor in the video section, i help alot of people out, its not just me in my area but manny do, its volantry and its somthing that us more experienced guys like to do, now i am being told i have to pay people to help them out with their problems? sure i was once a noob in here but by no means did i just use this forum to learn in the stuff ive learnt, i went my own way and learnt from manny sources, if i do have to pay ill either do 1 of 2 things, leave or stay, but if i stay its going to have to be abit more then just being able to post pictures and boot people from my thread, i think the tshirt idea is the best that some have brought out, atleast then i can feel apart of somthing and see somthing for my hard earned dollars and im atleast getting somthing back ( for the time and work too), to me paying is a bad idea and those who dont pay cant post pics is also a bad idea, in the area of the video section and in the audio section no doubt pictures often speak more then words, trying to explain how somthing works or trying to create somthing new with out some sort of diagram is more or less impossble in some cases and all of this we will soon have to pay for, fair enough its not your guys fault and i apreciate the service this site has served me in the past and ive realised times are getting tough, but this would have to be the first paying forum ive ever heard about and i can start to count members leaving already on the idea, and now im going to have to pay to help others out? shouldnt they be paying the smart ones in here for advice rather then the other way round?

Trev
Old 6th January 2004, 07:42 AM   #15
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

I'll say it again. There will always be a free membership. No one will be forced to pay anything. If anyone donates anything, it will be by their own choice. And let me say it again, regardless of whoever donates or does not donate, you will all still be welcome here. Just keep in mind that if we cannot get enough in donations / sponsorship / advertisement, the days of this community are numbered.
Old 6th January 2004, 07:58 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ace3000_1
Default Video Freek

ok enough said, i think though after we clear this glitch up what we need to do is to make up our own box, this is a very big forum and has now got a good tradition of being one of the best forums out there if not the best for the areas we cover, i think in the future we are going to have to make up our own box to handle the trafic and to keep the costs down, im sure manny can donate parts to make a box and i know this has been discussed already from reading the last posts in the last thread on this hosting glich, and its not the box thats the issue but the connection, i may have a free server for u it costs me about $8 a year for the size u want in hdd , ram and cpu , bandwith ect so ill get back to u on that soon, the only other thing as u say with donations is to have a few advertisments on the site and store, id certainly like to have a tshirt or a cap lol but either way like anything there is always an issue so i wish u the best of luck an ill try to do what i can do to keep this great place going.

Trev
Old 6th January 2004, 04:35 PM   #17
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

The "smart guys" have to get something out of this already or they wouldn't do it. They get satisfaction helping lure others into an activity they enjoy, but it is also very clear that they get a goodly dose of ego gratification out of it too. It feels good to be acknowleged as an expert in something. Look how cranky some of them are until finally people start to take them seriously AFTER they have proven themselves- themn the are locked in!! bwahahahaha!
Old 21st January 2004, 11:27 AM   #18
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

I've put this on hold until we get the server move out of the way. In the mean time, you can post in off topic.

- Dan
diyAudio Administrator / Webmaster.
Old 21st April 2004, 04:10 PM   #19
Hans L is offline Hans L  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wintermute
One thing you might want to consider is an "invited only" thread, where only people nominated by the thread starter can post.... I'm sure there are a few members who would be very pleased with something like that alternatively go the other way, and give the thread starter the option of blocking certain people
That would stop the sharing of knowledge which is the raison d'etre for forums. What would be the use of a thread open to a select group, even if it concerns only reading it? Only posting on invitation would be viable and maybe useful. Moderation by the starter seems a better idea.
Old 28th April 2004, 02:05 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

All right... What's with the lumenlab crap at the bottom of the screen?

Hide this!Advertise here!