New server required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoundNERD,

1GB storage is not enough. Our database on it's own is 1GB and it continues to grow rapidly so we need far more than that to allow for growth and also the rest of the site which probably requires 100MB.

li_gangyi,

we've spent the last 4 yrs sitting on the back of fibre pipes (oh what a pleasure) but yes we could get by (pretty easily during peaks) on a 10Mbps ethernet line assuming there is not much other traffic on that same feed. The rest of the time, 10Mbps would be a breeze.

2 things.. anyone that posts server stats could they please include the following ...

CPU
RAM
HDD
OS
MYSQL and PHP support
Bandwidth
Monthly Traffic allowance

li_gangyi,
What bandwidth are you talking when you say 'bad'?

If worst comes to worst, we may have to limit the number of ppl that come to the board at any one time. However, I would sooner see us go to paid hosting than see that happen.

Okay, my 1.5Mbps SDSL wouldn't be up to the heavy lifting of your peak throughput it appears. Too bad, I can dedicate an SMP/RAID box to it.

Anyway, I'll throw in one more datapoint, and that's the local hosting service I use, Speakeasy. I pay $120/month for:

Hosting on redundant Linux cluster
CPU/RAM unknown
2GB quota + $5/50MB over quota, on NetApp SAN
Linux 2.4
Mysql 3
PHP 4.3
Twin OC3 to major backbones, unlimited transfer

What about building a box (shouldn't cost too much at all) and trying to find someone willing enough to plug it into their network? Sometimes that's a lot more feasible if someone doesn't want their resources chewed up by one single site (cpu usage/db usage/hd space)

Its basically finding someone to co-host the box for free.

Thanks for your kind offers everyone.

godaddy will not be an option due to the low hdd usage they allow.

karma and jwb,
I may be in touch with you.

As far as connection goes, we could probably litterally scrape by with about 3 or 4 Mbps (during peaks) with noticeable slowdown to end users at present but this allows pretty much no future expandability during our tenure at our next host. 6 - 8Mbps would be alot more comfortable for the time being. 10Mbps during peak would allow for projected growth with off peak average probably still sitting around 2 - 3Mbps.

So,
Perhaps if someone is willing to offer a suitable box to act as server and someone else is able to offer cheap or free co-hosting, we may have something.

Our main requirements for a server are a few GB of HDD space (hardware raid 5 preferred) and lots of RAM. I've done huge amounts of work to keep our CPU usage low and it continues to be so low that it hardly registers alot of the time on the dual p3 box we are currently running on (and I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve to get it even lower) so CPU usage is much less of a concern than HDD and RAM.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I've got a spare server.
It's not doing anything other than store some DVDs which I'd be happy to delete...

My main objection is I just can't afford to have this beast running 24/7 and the noise of the fans would drive me nuts too.

I'm open to suggestions and I wouldn't mind selling it but it's a machine worth well over 20.000 AUD...

If you need details or want more info, I'm happy to help.

Hate to see all those posts go into the digital null....

Cheers,;)

soundNERD said:
Did you check out plan 2 or 3? plan 2 offers 2GB storage and plan 3 has 10GB.

it costs more, but i almost like the 1$/year thing.
It's not ideal but it's worth keeping in mind. I'm rather busy at the moment could you please try and find out what CPU and RAM allowances one is given, also what is the bandwidth (ie. Mbps etc) supplied and backup options (onsite / offsite / cost / frequency etc.) on Plan 3.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Dan,

The mobo is an Intel LG440GX built into a Astor II Intel case.
As it stands it has 2 PIII 800Mhz CPUs and 512MB of ECC memory.

It's a full SCSI + IDE system using a Mylex SCSI Ultra II PCI raid controller card allowing for a 160 Mbs transfer. Its controlled by a backplane board by Intel allowing for five scsi disks. (Not sure but I think the backplane reduces throughput to 80mBs)

Bios is latest spec and the disk configuration is a mirror of 2*9 GB disks containing OS and swap file plus 3*36GB Quantum disks configured as a stripe set.
It can take more, much more as I'm sure you realise:

The raid controller can be updated, memory can go up to 1GB, disk capacity can be both extended and made faster with new raid controller.

There's also a floppy drive and a SCSI Plextor CD-R drive (40max)

Currently it runs Win2K SP4 with all latest patches.

I also have a HP Surestore 1200e robot tape backup device to go with it and plenty of tapes and software...

If this machine can be of use to diyAudio, let me know what you're thinking of.

Best regards,;)

unlimited bandwith, 10 domains, 50gb/month, unlimited pop3 email, email aliases and mysql, cgi, peral, easy backup/restore, ssi, php4, stats, fast gige connection, 99.9% uptime, toll free support, instant activation, $20 setup and monthly, $240/yr

thats for the second plan. all the information is at www.radish.net on the homepage.

i also have a website www.electronet.5u.com with a small bb, and worst thing is you point visitors there for a while. i only have about 20megs, though and not unlimited cgi access.

let us know what you decide

Status
Not open for further replies.