New server required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Globat.com offers (7.50 per month)
2,000 MB web server space
2,000 POP e-mail Accounts
60 GB data transfer
24-hour FTP/Control Panel Access
Support for Multiple Domain Pointers ($12 per pointer)
MS FrontPage 2002, Flash, MYSQL, PHP4, PERL5 and SSI Support
Your very own cgi-bin directory
Stats Package (analyze your traffic)
Unlimited e-mail forwarding, alias & autoresponders
Geographical domain hosting
Web based e-mail
Web based account management center
Tutorials, Search Engine Optimization and Submission Scripts
24-hour Signature Support
Live Chat Support

Jason,

I run http://www.bowlie.com/ and have very similar figures to you (30gb bandwidth).

I use a VPS5000 from Ventures Online and would recommend it very much.

They include 50gb bandwidth, and 5gb disk space.

For this it's approx £155 per month including off-server backups.

I run several method for funding this:

Donations
Subscriptions (£10 per year)

I also offer hosting accounts to utilise the spare capacity.

We nearly always have 4 months worth of funding... never slip below it... hardly ever exceed it.

I also use Google adverts to bring in approx half of the outgoing fees.

If you want to discuss all of this, then just let me know. I went through PRECISELY what you're going through... just 8 months prior.

In the meantime... I'll ask a question based on why I came here ;) Your wiki... I'm looking for one that integrates into the VB user database... yours does... where did you get it from? ;)

Cheers

David K

I got a detail wrong though... it's $155 per month. That's US dollars and not pounds :) Which is currently coming out as £80 per month because the dollar is so weak.

We feedback the state of our accounts too... we have a private forum for registered users... all donations are anonymous, but we confirm them to the donors and then publish monthly accounts so that people can see their donation has added to it :)

dimitri said:
Dan,
I think if somebody could manage a diyaudio backup on CD collection, I will be the first to spend $20-50 for it. It is much convenient to search at local machine, and a small amount could go for hosting.

I will consider coding things such as this once we are on a new server but in the mean time, the only thing I have time for is finding us a new server.

Dan,
it is nice to hear about your plans. So make an announcement that the CDs would be ready later e.g. in summer and gather prepayment. I think that we all can wait, but to stimulate the prepayment you can make a price a little less for those who pay now, then later in summer.

planet10 said:

I'm gonna guess here that AF is talking about the number of CDs it takes to do a back-up of the database.... putting diyAudio on a CD to use on your home computer would be some effort, since being a database there would have to be aps to run it.

dave

Right... and it'd have to be a 3rd party (probably) self-coded app, because of the vB licensing stuff... there may be issues there? (with the database structure that is issued)

Dear diy-ers,

Maybe a friend of mine can help out. He has a server connected to the internet with 100mbit/s up- and downstream.

Presently he has a configuration with the following specs:

- AMD XP 1800+
- 1GB RAM

Apache with MySQL and PHP

He is willing to offer serverspace for a while, but there is only one problem, he doesn't have permission to directly connect a dns name or domain name to the ip-adress of the server.

If you're still interested you could please post a reply or send me a mail,

Regards,

Martin Straver
Tjeerd Hoogendijk

You are probably talking about a connection on the University of Twente. (very probable looking at your IP).

Forget it. When the network managers (SNT - Students Network Twente) find out, you will immediately be cut from the network. Besides that, the traffic DIYaudio generates (30 GB per month) leaves you with little bandwith left for yourself (15 GB max per week)

We could try asking those SNT guys themself if the Uni wants to provide a colocation. If that works, there's no problem, but do not defeat the SNT. We could try to persuade SNT with the argument that DIYaudio holds a lot of knowledge and ketting that knowledge inside is already quite some prestige (and the Uni is quite fond of prestige)

We could also try to work it through the student union.

Bouke

I can offer the following for £125 monthly or £1250 yearly.

P3 866
1GB RAM
2 x 9GB SCSI HW RAID
*50 GB per month
*100Mb/s switch port
*24/7 support
*99.9% SLA

Choose the linux distro.

I know the cpu isn't much. I will see what else is lying around if you're interested...

Status
Not open for further replies.