New server required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
SitePoint who have kindly been hosting diyAudio for free for the last 4 years have recently moved servers and this one will be shutting up shop soon. No cause for alarm - we'll have plenty of notice before the plug is pulled ;)

In all seriousness though, we're looking for a new server, which means either somebody could donate some space on one of their boxes, or we could put round the hat and go get hosted at a pay-for place.

If anyone does have a spare box, all I need is the keys - I know linux and webserver configuration very well.

Anyway, consider this a first round message, we'll see if we catch any fish! :)

Cheers!

Jason!

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We've been working on getting it down as much as possible, but the stats at the moment are roughly:

Bandwidth: 30GB / month
Database: 1GB
Requirements: Should run on a basic PHP/MySQL
Disk space: 100M - though a few GB would be nice for the odd database manipulation

Hosting with 50GB/month of bandwidth would cost approx $1800/month (Verio). Probably best to try to find a generous sponsor or to setup a membership program. I'd pay $100/year to belong, if there was some benefit.

Suggested benefits of membership:

Ability to see long threads as one page
Unlimited searching
Ability to use HTML

Less markup, less bandwidth

I'm blown away by the 30GB/month bandwidth usage! The first page of this thread requires a 70KB transfer. I took the first six comments and reduced the markup to less than 4KB. Scaling linearly, this should be about 10KB per page, an 85% reduction.

I didn't include a lot of the navigation and peripheral junk, but my mockup is functionally and visually equivalent to the main part of the page. Some of the typefaces may differ, but that's a simple matter of style and I don't want to spend my whole life working on this. I hope it may give you some ideas on reducing the size of your responses.

Tested in Mozilla, IE, and Safari:
http://saturn5.com/~jwb/contest/diy.html

Cheers,
jwb

Indeed there are a number of revenue generating options that we are considering and likely to adopt in the future. However, we really need to aquire a new server in the next 4 weeks. Ideally, if someone could host us for the next 12 - 18 months for free, it would give me time to get revenue generating features operational so we could then move to paid hosting if the need be with the means in place to support the costs. Otherwise I'm sure that a beg-a-thon is not far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.