New server required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding costs to run the forum....

I´m a senior member of the www.beisammen.de homecinema forum in Germany. This forum runs on the same software (vBulletin) as diyaudio.

We do not have any banners just popping up, that disturb during usage, but we have some banners on the starting pages, the indexes and on top of every thread.

This is in no way disturbing, but helps to get in some money for the platform. The costs for traffic are at least covered by that.

And as the companies contributing the banners are well selected by the admin they are even sometimes quite helpful for the users who appreciate to get links to trustworth dealers.

For those, who want to get an idea what it looks like just follow the link. You can check out the look an feel even without understanding German... ;)

Cybergent said:
Regarding costs to run the forum....

I´m a senior member of the www.beisammen.de homecinema forum in Germany. This forum runs on the same software (vBulletin) as diyaudio.

We do not have any banners just popping up, that disturb during usage, but we have some banners on the starting pages, the indexes and on top of every thread.

This is in no way disturbing, but helps to get in some money for the platform. The costs for traffic are at least covered by that.

And as the companies contributing the banners are well selected by the admin they are even sometimes quite helpful for the users who appreciate to get links to trustworth dealers.

For those, who want to get an idea what it looks like just follow the link. You can check out the look an feel even without understanding German... ;)

My ad washing program worked well enough so i didn't get
any ads at all, just the empty boxes showing that something
should have been there, so that was not so much of a
problem.

However, I am sorry to tell you, but the general immediate
impression of the fourm was cluttered and overcrowded
with things and seemingly awkward to navigate. Most internet
forums are like that, I admit, but not diyAudio which stands
out as an excellent example of how to make a fourm that is
easy to navigate and user friendly. But what do I know, I am
just a computer scientist who has worked with computers in
one way or another for 25 years and prefer computers to be
tools, not toys. :)

As far as the backing up of database bits goes, you would fit everything on a DVD-R. As for bringing a new server on-line, if your OS supports snapshots, you can do this with a downtime of a few seconds, but have the forums read-only (or new posts migrated later) for the time it takes to stream the data.

You might consider www.colocation.no, and a dedicated 1U box there. I could set up a FreeBSD box and get it onsite for you.

The costs are about USD 90/month for 60GB, plus USD 15/month for the 1U height (add USD 5/month per unit, up to 6U). Add USD 10 for UPS, USD 10 for use of their rsync facility (2 miles offsite), USD 5 for web access to the power switch.

Their connectivity is redundant gigabit.

Should this be interesting, talk to them, or to me. =)

If you need onsite service, I can have it taken care of.

New Server Found.

We now have a server for the next 12 months. At this point in time, I would like to thank all those that made offers.

This thread is now officially closed. I will be starting a new thread in a month or so to request donations of money and parts so that diyaudio can own it's own server by the time that this current deal expires.

- Dan
diyAudio Administrator / Webmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.