The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered a 'jack of all chassis' for the F4 I'm building with diyaudio boards.

I'm happy to support diyaudio and hope this works out for you folks. As you've already said the chassis is one of the most troublesome parts of a build for some of us and I'm glad to have someone do most of the dirty work for me. I have only tried drilling/tapping heatsinks once and ended up breaking the tap. Fortunately the heatsinks I had offered a clamp type mount and I switched to that but the F4 board is too wide for the clamp so I was faced with drilling/tapping again...until now.

Thanks again and now I can concentrate on the part of the hobby I like the best....electronics, and listening to music.

Phil

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
West side hit it yesterday afternoon and we sold a few more! All survey respondents have now been emailed as well. We've sold 6 of the 4U and 5 of the 5U. We actually started with 20 of the 4U and 25 of the 5U, so there's 14 and 20 remaining respectively. No problems there at all. I've raised the limit from 1 to 2 per order, so those who want dual monoblocks can secure a pair, and in another 24 hours I'll remove the limit entirely.

Last edited:
Nice !

Just ordered the 4RU and the Honey Badger Boards.

I assume there is space for dual-torroidal transformers, two PS boards, soft switch PCB in there (as well as the amp boards).

Hi,

You will run out of space pretty quickly with that setup but with a bit of planning I think you can squeeze them in a 4U. The PSU boards will have to be mounted vertically so you will have to device a way to do so, this is done to make room for the two toroidal transformers and soft start pcb.

But ultimately, if it's going to be a power plant amp build then I would strongly suggest to get the bigger, deeper chassis.

HTH

Jojo

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm asking because it seems like it could be undersized. I don't want to get the wrong one and end up running too hot. Thanks

In our test setup, biased at 1.3 amps per channel, it never got more than 20'C above ambient.

All restrictions have now been taken off ordering and the chassis will shortly be made "public".

Thanks jojo,

Then the 4RU is really recommended for single Torroidial with single PS board ?

If the 5RU is the better option, then it may have to be this.....

BR
james.

Hi James,

Here's the HB Amp in the 5U chassis with dual PSU and an 800VA toroidal transformer.

Attachments

• Turn_The_Lights_On.jpg
    Turn_The_Lights_On.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 407
Not sure if I should post here or in the BA-3b thread....I would love to use the 5U for a BA-3b monoblock with either the SE or PP output. I see that the chassis is pre-drilled for the output boards. I am wondering about the ability to dissipate the heat. I see from the first post that the chassis is 0.28C/W. Is that per Chassis or per heatsink?

Just above the spec they describe the big chassis as:

"A 5U, 400mm deep “Big *** Chassis” with towering walls of heatsinking to cool demanding class A projects such as F-5 Turbos, Burning Amps, multichannel amps for biamping and home theater, and amps with elaborate power supplies and other components that that require a lot of internal space"

The Rth = Tr/Ph = 25C/300W = .083C/W. The BA articles generally state that a stereo chassis may draw as much as 300W from the wall.

Any opinions are welcome.

nice pictures, very clean builds.

The 5RU is just too big for my space methinks. I think I will choose 4RU with single transformer and single PS. I hope this will be space enough to make a nice HB system.

It's going to be somewhat tight for a HB system in there but definitely not impossible. You can even install the PSU board by fabricating an angled sheet aluminum and install that to the base. That way the PSU is installed vertically eating less real estate space.

Not sure if I should post here or in the BA-3b thread....I would love to use the 5U for a BA-3b monoblock with either the SE or PP output. I see that the chassis is pre-drilled for the output boards. I am wondering about the ability to dissipate the heat. I see from the first post that the chassis is 0.28C/W. Is that per Chassis or per heatsink?

Just above the spec they describe the big chassis as:

"A 5U, 400mm deep “Big *** Chassis” with towering walls of heatsinking to cool demanding class A projects such as F-5 Turbos, Burning Amps, multichannel amps for biamping and home theater, and amps with elaborate power supplies and other components that that require a lot of internal space"

The Rth = Tr/Ph = 25C/300W = .083C/W. The BA articles generally state that a stereo chassis may draw as much as 300W from the wall.

Any opinions are welcome.

Iirc, the spec was per heatsink, per side. But to be honest, I am not quite sure of the thermal resistance rating. All I can tell you right now is that the 5U's heatsinks are, aside from being big and all that, ribbed to increase surface area. It's always a good sign for use with demanding systems.

5U for BA-3b

Upon further inspection....it seems the each heat sink is .28C/W. I took the rough dimensions an plugged them into Rod Elliott's heat-sink calculator and they came out at about that Rth.

So...300/4 = 75W per sink. 75W x .28C/W = 21 C over ambient. Should be OK.

Anyone concur?

Upon further inspection....it seems the each heat sink is .28C/W. I took the rough dimensions an plugged them into Rod Elliott's heat-sink calculator and they came out at about that Rth.

So...300/4 = 75W per sink. 75W x .28C/W = 21 C over ambient. Should be OK.

Anyone concur?
and then apply the deltaT De-rating Factor (DF)

For a deltaT of 21Cdegrees expect the de-rating to be around 1.3 **

Temp rise = Pq * Rth s-a * DF = 75 * 0.28 * 1.3 ~ 27Cdegrees.

** The De-rating Factor should be given by the manufacturer. They usually have a datasheet showing how to apply it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.