The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback! - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2012, 06:39 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

I've used their cases for a few projects (Bijou, b22 etc). They are real nice.
I tend to order with the minimal thickness front and rear panels (I don't use them) and get thicker ones drilled and etched by FrontPanel Express.
I've not yet used the dissapante model but I know what a pain in the backside it is to drill and tap holes, especially blind ones in a heatsink.

Old 26th March 2012, 06:48 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKToecutter View Post
pain in the backside to drill and tap holes
Stick a fresh drill in a workbench fitter's vise, take a hammer, and in an elegant fashion, swing the drill top off.

(preferably in tights, wearing ballet shoes, and a pliés afterwards)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 26th March 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Old 26th March 2012, 06:50 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Jacco, you have a strange imagination.
I hope I never appear in your dreams!!

Old 26th March 2012, 07:08 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Hope i never appear in yours.

With a broken off drill, you can tap deeper (and never ever throw a broken tap away)

Old 26th March 2012, 08:11 PM   #55
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
With a broken off drill, you can tap deeper (and never ever throw a broken tap away)
I don't follow.

Could you explain further?
Or link to a video of the process of tapping deeper without breaking the tap.

Old 26th March 2012, 08:22 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Easy, do a hole with a regular drill bit, then clean the bottom with the broken one, same routine for the tapping.
No bleedin rocket science, is it.

Old 26th March 2012, 10:25 PM   #57
skunark is offline skunark  United States
diyAudio Member

Jason,

Additional case upgrade offerings could include silk-screen plates that have the machined holes for the power inlet, fuse, power switch (or combo) and xlr/rca plugs that either includes those parts or provide a BOM. I would see these matching up to the various boards being sold. I would prefer this to be an upgrade option to avoid purchasing two rear-plates. So for the 5U/400 chassis, you could order: blank, mono or stereo rear-plate. The blank rear-plate probably should be aluminum so folks can send that off to CNC shops like Front Panel Express. I think you could even extend this concept to the front panel and the feet for the bottom plate.

I realize not everyone will want the same features or layout when purchasing a complete chassis, but offering a solution that would match the boards being sold at the store would be a much welcome value and differentiate the chassis from Modu and other vendors. The value would be beneficial to those not interested in fabricating/modding a chassis for financial, shop real estate and/or skill reasons.

BTW: I have the 5U/500mm chassis and there should be additional bracing for the bottom plate if aluminum, perhaps the steel, DIY friendly base or the smaller 400mm form-factor provides enough support. Also, I don't prefer the feet from modu/hifi2000, the slip-on hard plastic outer shell will scratch furniture and doesn't actually attach to the chassis.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by skunark; 26th March 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old 27th March 2012, 03:03 AM   #58
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Off topic posts removed. Feel free to discuss DIY chassis recipies in another thread. Let's keep this one on track. FYI, we do plan on having our own dedicated aluminum smelter by the year 2050 but we have some way to go yet.

Old 27th March 2012, 09:04 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Eer, grandmaster-J, how about deleting mine too, have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Old 27th March 2012, 09:19 AM   #60
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Eer, grandmaster-J, how about deleting mine too, have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
I try not to have too heavy a hand I think discussion of the price, difficulty or techniques of drilling holes is kind of on topic as people need to decide if the PTH option is worth their while, and your post showing your surplus bought stuff is also kind of on topic (maybe not). Just trying to keep things cleanish..

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!