The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback! - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2012, 12:04 PM   #41
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Huh, US only?

Old 26th March 2012, 12:07 PM   #42
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Let's get the long distance version for the USA & Canada set up.

Then we can try to persuade DIY audio to do something similar for us Europeans.

Maybe Modu can hold these specials in stock and supply direct to Members, saving on transport and handling costs.

Old 26th March 2012, 12:27 PM   #43
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiphy View Post
Nice enclosures. What about us in europe?? will there be the same in our shop? Who is the italian producer if we can order from them direct??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
Huh, US only?
Hello Europeans! If you're in Europe you can order direct from Modu. For us to ship from our London (Shipwire) warehouse, we'd have to pay for shipping from Italy to London, insurance, receiving fees, warehousing fees, merchant fees on your purchase, picking and packing fees, reshipping, and then dealing with returns. The margins are too thin to warrant the risks.

As Andrew says, there is plenty of opportunity for us to arrange a special deal for Europeans in the future, direct ship from Modu, some kind of win/win for everyone for a standardized product.

For now, we're "just" looking at sea shipping a full pallet of chassis from Italy to the USA. The size of the order combined with the sea shipping is what makes this possible financially. Anything less than a full pallet and it's not worth the trouble. There are a lot of risks involved here and I'm personally betting the cash on this to see if it can add a renewable, repeatable revenue stream for diyAudio. I think it can, but we'll be taking baby steps and this is the first one.

Thanks for bringing the plight of Europeans to our attention. We'll try to come up with something for you as soon as we can. I've updated the thread title to make it USA specific.

Last edited by Jason; 26th March 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Old 26th March 2012, 01:08 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

EU residents can order from Modushop directly, I don't think that's an issue.

As a side note, in another audio-related forum members can use a certain "code" when ordering from Modushop to get an extra discount.
That could be an option to consider for diyAudio members (and I'm sure it'd keep EU-based members happy as well).

Old 26th March 2012, 03:12 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
elaborate on this
What i'm saying is that this thread is a diyA initiative to enable US/CAN folks to obtain a decent and smart looking amp case that suits their needs.

A DIY fruitcake is someone who either favors it cheaper and worse, or cheaper and better.
I understood that you were the one talking about money.

But you're welcome to enter my world, cheaper, better, but involves a whole lot more than a 100 dollar metal cutting shear (i've got one in the garage that does half an inch of steel)

Examples ;
Goldmund Mods, Improvements, Stability

I buy Modushop parts too, have been for years, can even order them local with a telephone call if i have the desire ( Electronics Cabinets )
Their complete cases i don't need, can do a whole lot better myself after 40 years in the metal business, and cheaper too.

But this thread isn't about me, and not about you.
If you want cheaper, plenty of sources for that.

Old 26th March 2012, 04:33 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
surprise me
Bottom is a universal case, 1/8" bent alloy plates, 12.5" W x 10" D x 2.5" H.
Surplus, paid 5 bucks each, have about a dozen or so.

Middle is a sub-chassis, 5/64" bent alloy, NOS, got a few dozen of them.
Came along with their 2-part steel cases, four dozen output stage heatsinks (including a mounted PCB with output devices and 3W wirewounds ), several yards of NOS heatsinks, for $70 total.

The Modushop front panel on top has a more luxurious price tag.

One does not need to have a hundred thousand dollar barn (which i do) for that, merely an open eye and a creative mind.
YMMV.

(i majored in maritime economics at polytech-u, i applaude any commercial initiative. If Jason didn't at some point in time, i'd kick him in the balls, first chance i'd catch him by himself in the john's)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Junk.jpg (224.9 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 26th March 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Old 26th March 2012, 04:46 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I believe I have made my points. Over and out.

Well, almost :-)

UKToecutter. Have you thought about that there is a lot of able people out there fully able to do it but just haven't been described how or why and what to count on regarding income? I haven't seen much of this "low end" tutorials laying around... A few square meters and a few tools.

I have a star below my picture and will continue to keep it that way until I find out that vendors can shut out a competitor with lower prizes if DIYAUDIO gets enough pay for it - then I am out.

Brgds
Turbon,

I hope I didn't offend you.
My point was that many DIYers do not have the skills to make their own enclosures. The fact that DIYaudio are making some predrilled enclosures available should be lauded not condemed.
Initiatives such as this will allow some people the opportunity to 'finish' a project. I look at the shelf above my desk and I see many populated PCB's that just need an enclosure to finish them off!!

If we were all able to make our own enclosures then there would not be a need for anybody to sell them.
I would like to be able to, but I feel that I'm not.
Also, when I finish a project I've spent hundreds of pounds on I like it to look the part too.

Old 26th March 2012, 06:18 PM   #48
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Heh, I spared the good part for You Zen Mod.

Many seem to be a bit frightend about my posts - and I don't get it. Are you all here to make a buck? That would make some sense.

But anyway - is there some real community efforts out there where people hold hands and share findings that saves them a buck instead of putting it into the vendors area here?

Brgds
That's getting a bit OT, perhaps you should make a new thread?

Back on topic:

I like what's currently planned and hope that the all aluminum option is available

Old 26th March 2012, 06:30 PM   #49
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Eddy currents can form in the bottom plates, due to proximity.

The multi-hole base-plate has issues in some minor ways but one of the advantages is that eddy current development is notably impeded.

I suggest sending along an extra foot and associated screw with each chassis, so that given extra footer can be added to a given (neat central) point in that chassis base plate.

Old 26th March 2012, 06:30 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

I would like a few of those Italian boxes (one to start with). Medium sized, silver is cool, I would pay for holes tapped. Heat sinks: 130 watts

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!