The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis requesting your feedback! - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 13th October 2012, 09:44 AM   #241
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
modushop's 5U is completely enough for 100W diss per side

tested and tried
per side, or per heatsink?

Old 13th October 2012, 09:48 AM   #242
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

only older models were 1 long (deep , depending how one is looking ) heatsink per side

newer ones are two heatsinks per side , so 4 heatsinks total per box

what I wrote is per side , so per 2 heatsinks

Old 13th October 2012, 10:06 AM   #243
jimchan is offline jimchan  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jojo, if it is only a couple of angled boards, and a tight fit at final assembly then I this should be acceptable. I had an big old Radford power amp many years ago, and there wasn't space in it for a spider to creep in.

The best thing about the 'DIY Audio chassis-boards concept' is that 90% of the machining is done for me. And looks like the chassis/sinks are all easy to disassemble for easy access during build and test. Good job guys !

I just need to make sure the transformer is not too wide. Any diameter measurements/ vendor suggestions here ? Would love to have a 800VA capacity similar to your build.

Looking forward to the project.
james.

Old 16th October 2012, 11:12 PM   #244
Mr. dB is offline Mr. dB  United States
diyAudio Member

My order arrived! Now the fun begins!

Old 16th October 2012, 11:53 PM   #245
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine too!

Everything was very well packed and protected and the chassis is extremely well built.

Two very minor issues: One of the taps on the inside of the aluminum faceplate does not line up with the angle bracket for mounting (it's only off by a few mm but it's enough); and I'm not finding bolts or screws long enough to mount the feet (I'll be using different feet so no biggie for me).

Those are very minor issues. I'm really blown away with the quality and feel of the chassis, it's very solid and other than the misaligned tap goes together extremely easily. Now I might have to get one for my preamp so everything matches...

Old 17th October 2012, 12:36 AM   #246
RKH is offline RKH  United States
diyAudio Member

4U no frills version; yes, my early birthday present arrived today. Very nicely packed. Everything is in tip top condition.

I did a quick assembly (not final) to get a sense of dimensions and did a test fit of a few boards that I have assembled, wanting a home...

Fitting "just right" on the heatsink (in addition to those noted on the diyAudio website)...

Fetzilla
FC-100 (Rudi's Rozek's boards)
AAK Symasym
TO-3 Symasym (Rudi Rozek's boards--though the "L" bracket makes things a little bit tight in the center of the chassis)
-- Perhaps a "U" bracket to get the boards parallel to the heatsink surface makes for loads of room. Note, I can't haven't thought through the thermal compatibility of the above combinations, but my gut feeling is that it would be fine.

Overall, a very nice product. Now to the drilling and tapping... thanks diyAudio for making this quality product available.

Ryan

Old 17th October 2012, 03:52 AM   #247
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, it's really appreciated and of course an important part of the feedback loop for product improvement. I can't wait to see some photos of these babies fully loaded.

Mattmcl - I'll contact you via PM.

Old 17th October 2012, 04:01 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Thumbs up A Game Changer

Regarding chassis' in store...

IT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!

Old 17th October 2012, 05:01 PM   #249
diyAudio Member

I would like to thank all those who have worked so hard to get this project off the ground. Great work and it will make an enormous difference to so many as engineering the hardware can be the most difficult part of the build.

With regard to the 5U which has 2 heatsinks along each side. I bought this model a couple of years ago from Italy and tapped the holes. If one is using a BA-2 output board on each side I found the two central mosfets would be either side of the join between the heatsinks. My question is whether these two mosfets would run hotter because of their close proximity to the join betweeen the heatsinks compared to the others which were positioned well away from the heatsink edges?

Last edited by Backbones; 17th October 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Old 17th October 2012, 06:16 PM   #250
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

You're out of the back panel parts kits already?

I wanted to order the works today. Any ETA on new stock?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!