The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback! - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 12th October 2012, 09:01 AM   #231
diyAudio Moderator

And the F5 happily playing in the 4U chassis...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9463.jpg (536.4 KB, 261 views)

Old 12th October 2012, 03:27 PM   #232
6speed is offline 6speed  United States
diyAudio Member

Awesome! Thanks for posting!

Old 12th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #233
jimchan is offline jimchan  Norway
diyAudio Member

nice pictures, very clean builds.

The 5RU is just too big for my space methinks. I think I will choose 4RU with single transformer and single PS. I hope this will be space enough to make a nice HB system.

Old 12th October 2012, 06:02 PM   #234
diyAudio Member

Not sure if I should post here or in the BA-3b thread....I would love to use the 5U for a BA-3b monoblock with either the SE or PP output. I see that the chassis is pre-drilled for the output boards. I am wondering about the ability to dissipate the heat. I see from the first post that the chassis is 0.28C/W. Is that per Chassis or per heatsink?

Just above the spec they describe the big chassis as:

"A 5U, 400mm deep “Big *** Chassis” with towering walls of heatsinking to cool demanding class A projects such as F-5 Turbos, Burning Amps, multichannel amps for biamping and home theater, and amps with elaborate power supplies and other components that that require a lot of internal space"

The Rth = Tr/Ph = 25C/300W = .083C/W. The BA articles generally state that a stereo chassis may draw as much as 300W from the wall.

Any opinions are welcome.

Old 13th October 2012, 02:19 AM   #235
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchan View Post
nice pictures, very clean builds.

The 5RU is just too big for my space methinks. I think I will choose 4RU with single transformer and single PS. I hope this will be space enough to make a nice HB system.
It's going to be somewhat tight for a HB system in there but definitely not impossible. You can even install the PSU board by fabricating an angled sheet aluminum and install that to the base. That way the PSU is installed vertically eating less real estate space.

Old 13th October 2012, 02:33 AM   #236
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioslave View Post
Not sure if I should post here or in the BA-3b thread....I would love to use the 5U for a BA-3b monoblock with either the SE or PP output. I see that the chassis is pre-drilled for the output boards. I am wondering about the ability to dissipate the heat. I see from the first post that the chassis is 0.28C/W. Is that per Chassis or per heatsink?

Just above the spec they describe the big chassis as:

"A 5U, 400mm deep “Big *** Chassis” with towering walls of heatsinking to cool demanding class A projects such as F-5 Turbos, Burning Amps, multichannel amps for biamping and home theater, and amps with elaborate power supplies and other components that that require a lot of internal space"

The Rth = Tr/Ph = 25C/300W = .083C/W. The BA articles generally state that a stereo chassis may draw as much as 300W from the wall.

Any opinions are welcome.
Iirc, the spec was per heatsink, per side. But to be honest, I am not quite sure of the thermal resistance rating. All I can tell you right now is that the 5U's heatsinks are, aside from being big and all that, ribbed to increase surface area. It's always a good sign for use with demanding systems.

Old 13th October 2012, 02:38 AM   #237
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
Awesome! Thanks for posting!
Thanks!

Old 13th October 2012, 03:25 AM   #238
diyAudio Member

Default 5U for BA-3b

Upon further inspection....it seems the each heat sink is .28C/W. I took the rough dimensions an plugged them into Rod Elliott's heat-sink calculator and they came out at about that Rth.

So...300/4 = 75W per sink. 75W x .28C/W = 21 C over ambient. Should be OK.

Anyone concur?

Old 13th October 2012, 09:28 AM   #239
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioslave View Post
Upon further inspection....it seems the each heat sink is .28C/W. I took the rough dimensions an plugged them into Rod Elliott's heat-sink calculator and they came out at about that Rth.

So...300/4 = 75W per sink. 75W x .28C/W = 21 C over ambient. Should be OK.

Anyone concur?
and then apply the deltaT De-rating Factor (DF)

For a deltaT of 21Cdegrees expect the de-rating to be around 1.3 **

Temp rise = Pq * Rth s-a * DF = 75 * 0.28 * 1.3 ~ 27Cdegrees.

** The De-rating Factor should be given by the manufacturer. They usually have a datasheet showing how to apply it.

Last edited by AndrewT; 13th October 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Old 13th October 2012, 09:37 AM   #240
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

modushop's 5U is completely enough for 100W diss per side

tested and tried

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!