The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis requesting your feedback! - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 11th September 2012, 06:06 PM   #171
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Not unless you want a different look. Aluminum forms an oxide layer very quickly in the presence of air.
ahh, yes in theory, but if your home is warm and dry, a polished suface should last half a life time
but already marked and corroded surface wont

Old 11th September 2012, 06:13 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
Does a silver/natural panel need to be "oxidized" or "finished" in anyway after customization?
if you talk about professional 'customization', I suppose it would be properly finished

Old 11th September 2012, 06:27 PM   #173
GOR3 is offline GOR3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanc View Post
Carbide is harder then aluminum....carbide router bits and saw blades for wood definitely cut aluminum. I just went into the shop and tried a regular steel Forster bit in my drill press. It worked fine. Spin the bit slowly and clamp the work firmly. I had to apply quite a bit of pressure, but once the bit started cutting it made shavings of the aluminum just like wood. I would definitely drill a scrap to try it before I cut into a live part
Evan
Evan (with apologies for going OT), I have a Porter-Cable 690 router. If I wanted to use it on 1/8" aluminum with, say, an 1/8" bit, how slow should I go?
Thanks,
George

Old 11th September 2012, 07:56 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOR3 View Post
Evan (with apologies for going OT), I have a Porter-Cable 690 router. If I wanted to use it on 1/8" aluminum with, say, an 1/8" bit, how slow should I go?
Thanks,
George
the problem with the 690 is that it's single speed . while you can use it , i'd do many small passes . i wouldn't take more than 1/32'" cut at a time . i'm a professional cabinetmaker and have a lot of experience in metal fab under my belt . cheers Woody

Old 11th September 2012, 08:02 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Woody. I have an external speed controller, so I can slow it down.
George

Old 11th September 2012, 08:37 PM   #176
6speed is offline 6speed  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
Not sure if the faceplates can be ordered raw. I think they are anodized. So you need to be careful not to drill anything which will show on the outside when you're done. Or not be covered with a knob etc..Anodizing isn't absolutely neccessary. It just makes it look nice.
Thank you, that's was what I was suspecting as well. The customization I had in mind would be on the outside and that is additionally why I thought I might have to order a custom plate from Hi-Fi 2000. Perhaps it's time for me to find a friendly local machine shop that offers finishing services.

Old 11th September 2012, 08:42 PM   #177
6speed is offline 6speed  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
if you talk about professional 'customization', I suppose it would be properly finished
Unfortunately even Hi-Fi 2000 charge for both the metal work and the finishing work as separate charges / additional add-ons...as usual if you do not do it your self then you have to pay.

Of course we all know that do it yourself does not mean cheap by any means when you add up the tools time and materials, but just don't tell my wife.

Old 11th September 2012, 08:45 PM   #178

man, listen to it first, before you spend too much money on fancy design

Old 11th September 2012, 09:26 PM   #179
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
george...just got in from the shop. I have had good luck with solid carbide spiral bits. try a 1/4" downcut.
Whiteside Machine Company
I usually run at about 1/2 speed. It is important to think about you cutting direction...NO CLIMB CUTTING.....
And yes, small passes will be less scary.
Evan

Old 12th September 2012, 01:07 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

Great, Evan. Thanks. I will give it a try.
George

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!