The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jojo, if it is only a couple of angled boards, and a tight fit at final assembly then I this should be acceptable. I had an big old Radford power amp many years ago, and there wasn't space in it for a spider to creep in.

The best thing about the 'DIY Audio chassis-boards concept' is that 90% of the machining is done for me. And looks like the chassis/sinks are all easy to disassemble for easy access during build and test. Good job guys !

I just need to make sure the transformer is not too wide. Any diameter measurements/ vendor suggestions here ? Would love to have a 800VA capacity similar to your build.

Looking forward to the project.
james.

Mine too!

Everything was very well packed and protected and the chassis is extremely well built.

Two very minor issues: One of the taps on the inside of the aluminum faceplate does not line up with the angle bracket for mounting (it's only off by a few mm but it's enough); and I'm not finding bolts or screws long enough to mount the feet (I'll be using different feet so no biggie for me).

Those are very minor issues. I'm really blown away with the quality and feel of the chassis, it's very solid and other than the misaligned tap goes together extremely easily. Now I might have to get one for my preamp so everything matches...

4U no frills version; yes, my early birthday present arrived today. Very nicely packed. Everything is in tip top condition.

I did a quick assembly (not final) to get a sense of dimensions and did a test fit of a few boards that I have assembled, wanting a home...

Fitting "just right" on the heatsink (in addition to those noted on the diyAudio website)...

Fetzilla
FC-100 (Rudi's Rozek's boards)
AAK Symasym
TO-3 Symasym (Rudi Rozek's boards--though the "L" bracket makes things a little bit tight in the center of the chassis)
-- Perhaps a "U" bracket to get the boards parallel to the heatsink surface makes for loads of room. Note, I can't haven't thought through the thermal compatibility of the above combinations, but my gut feeling is that it would be fine.

Overall, a very nice product. Now to the drilling and tapping... thanks diyAudio for making this quality product available.

Ryan

I would like to thank all those who have worked so hard to get this project off the ground. Great work and it will make an enormous difference to so many as engineering the hardware can be the most difficult part of the build.

With regard to the 5U which has 2 heatsinks along each side. I bought this model a couple of years ago from Italy and tapped the holes. If one is using a BA-2 output board on each side I found the two central mosfets would be either side of the join between the heatsinks. My question is whether these two mosfets would run hotter because of their close proximity to the join betweeen the heatsinks compared to the others which were positioned well away from the heatsink edges?

Last edited:
With regard to the 5U which has 2 heatsinks along each side. I bought this model a couple of years ago from Italy and tapped the holes. If one is using a BA-2 output board on each side I found the two central mosfets would be either side of the join between the heatsinks. My question is whether these two mosfets would run hotter because of their close proximity to the join betweeen the heatsinks compared to the others which were positioned well away from the heatsink edges?

this also might seem to be a concern with the F5c boards. i was thinking of using those boards in this 5U chassis to build the 50W/8R F5t (fully Class A, if the heatsinks are up to it). should work though, right?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
You're out of the back panel parts kits already?

I wanted to order the works today. Any ETA on new stock?

Hi! The description says "This will be in stock sometime next week or thereabouts." and if I'm not mistaken, we're on track to ship the kits to the fulfillment center in the next day or two. Everyone is waiting on these so they're our #1 priority at the moment. We held it back because at the last minute we decided we should add all the fiddly little bolts and standoffs to make people's lives easier, but because we didn't want anyone to miss out on a chassis we have made a commitment to ship all chassis right away, and the back panel kits when they arrive, at our own expense (Domestic US orders only) (International orders will be held and sent all at once).

this also might seem to be a concern with the F5c boards. i was thinking of using those boards in this 5U chassis to build the 50W/8R F5t (fully Class A, if the heatsinks are up to it). should work though, right?

I haven't put the 5U chassis to the test because I ended up using a couple of old Thorens Restek monoblocks whose heatsinks were thankfully drilled exactly the same distance as for the BA-2 power board mosfets. However, I am considering building another amp using the BA-3 front ends so I will be using the 5U unit. I am sure the heatsinks will do a good job but this still leaves the question about heat distribution close to the join. Perhaps a temperature difference between these central mosfets will not make much difference anyway.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
How do I find the European distribution?

Great question and great timing.

We have come to an arrangement with Hifi2000 that European diyAudio members (or indeed anyone that will benefit from shipping closer to Italy) can purchase the same product configurations we offer in the diyAudio store directly from Hifi2000. It will be both cheaper and faster to order directly from them than from the diyAudio store.

Just email info@modushop.biz along with the SKUs (Stock Keeping Unit, the product identification) of the products you are interested in and they will give you a quote. To find the SKUs do the following (see attachment):

1. Add the products you are interested in to your cart
  2. Click the "Checkout with PayPal" button
  3. Write down or copy and paste the "Item IDs" that appear on the left hand of the screen (you don't have to log in)

This information will be be integrated into the diyAudio store online ordering system at some point over the next week to make it much more straight forward.

Attachments

• how to find the SKU.png
    how to find the SKU.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 543
Thank you to the diyAudio team!

Jason- I want to thank you and the team at diyAudio for all your great work on the store. It's great to have a source for the Italian chassis, not to mention the growing line of PCBs, etc. Great work and know that we in the diyAudio community really appreciate your efforts!

Status
Not open for further replies.