The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks again to everyone who submitted their feedback and/or filled in a survey. We've been busy putting the final details together to make this a reality, and as they say, the devil is in the details.

We've created a CNC back plate specification now, which is attached below.
  • RCAs are positioned high to avoid noise interaction from the AC lines
  • RCAs are spread wide so you can install a soft start or speaker protection board on top of the PEM
  • Binding post holes are 11.5mm in diameter and keyed to directly accept premium non-twisting binding posts from WBT etc.
  • Binding posts are spaced 3/4" apart which is standard for most binding posts
  • PEM hole can accommodate PEMs (Power Entry Modules) from multiple vendors (Eg: Qualtek, Schurter, Schaffner)
  • General arrangement of holes is intended to reduce wiring clutter

We'll be offering a pack including a quality PEM, 4 keyed high quality binding posts and two RCAs that will all drop straight in.

We're now just a few days away from placing the order, and there will be stock in the store within 2 months.

Attachments

• backplate specification 1.6.pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wow! The back panel spec looks great. Very happy to see this being offered... The products available from this site will hopefully open up the chance for lots of new people to have a successful first build!

Is there a PSU board in the works? It's the last ingredient needed for this endeavor to really work well.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"5. Can HiFi2000 also supply a stiffer panel for the bottom of the Pesante Dissipante boxes? I'd happily spring for a 3, 4 or 5mm aluminum bottom panel if it would be significantly stiffer than those that HiFi2000 ordinarily includes. One of the few complaints I read about these enclosures is that the connection between the bottom panels and heat sinks may need to be strengthened if the amp is very heavy; a heavier-duty bottom panel would help."

This is correct. I use a bracing bridge on mine, which doubles as a transformer shield to add stiffness.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
"5. Can HiFi2000 also supply a stiffer panel for the bottom of the Pesante Dissipante boxes? I'd happily spring for a 3, 4 or 5mm aluminum bottom panel if it would be significantly stiffer than those that HiFi2000 ordinarily includes. One of the few complaints I read about these enclosures is that the connection between the bottom panels and heat sinks may need to be strengthened if the amp is very heavy; a heavier-duty bottom panel would help."

This is correct. I use a bracing bridge on mine, which doubles as a transformer shield to add stiffness.

Jojo informs me that the DFB is considerably stiffer than that standard base which it sits on top of, due to its bent corners and thicker metal. By itself the DFB weighs 1.5kg/1.25kg for the 400/300 deep chassis.

Please find attached the "release candidate" UMS specification PDF, which has a nice example page for every single supported PCB, as well as another PDF showing our current placement of the holes relative to the top and bottom of the heatsink itself. It would be great to have some feedback from those knowledgeable in the field as to whether our approximations of how much lower to place the holes than the center line to compensate for the top of the heatsink getting hotter than the bottom, are a good bet.

In regards to production of the chassis, once the above UMS is locked in, we'll proceed with the order. We think that the final product lineup and pricing (TBA soon) will address the needs of most, while keeping the complexity manageable for us. If the first run is a success we'll add more options for the next run.

Attachments

• UMS specification general.zip
    170.8 KB · Views: 104
  • UMS specification relative to actual heatsinks.zip
    46.8 KB · Views: 121
The holes in the 210 tall sink look about right since the 80mm vertical gap is fixed.

The holes in the 165 tall sink look a bit too high. Is there room to move the group down 5mm or 10mm. What sticks out the bottom of the PCB? If the bottom 40mm is reduced to as low as 30mm would something foul up on the baseplate?

I have not done any calculations. These are just initial comment based on observation.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks Andrew for your feedback. Also per feedback here, I think we've decided that the current placement seems to be a good enough balance between the various configurations that are going to be able to be accommodated.

Unless there is a huge uproar about some final needed changes, we're going to order the chassis today. They'll be in the store within 2 months, provided the ship doesn't sink, disappear in the Bermuda triangle, etc.

More details about exact configurations to follow. While I would love to offer pre-orders, as this is the first run, and there is still room for plenty of mistakes, I don't want to be holding anyone's money and be unable to deliver on a promise, so we won't be offering pre-orders for this first run. If things work out and we are confident we can reproduce the results, we'll offer pre-orders on the next run, and likely with more configuration options as well.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Production has started. Here are some pictures of the custom top venting for some of the steel chassis. We'll be posting more updates as they come...

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_1867.JPG
    IMG_1867.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 802
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Some more update pictures. Here with fitted backplate components (these will be available as an optional parts pack) and showing the 6 row vented covers which will be on top of certain chassis models. The binding posts are spaced so that they can accept double banana plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 282
  • P1040937.jpg
    P1040937.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 263
  • P1040938.jpg
    P1040938.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Status