The diyAudio Store (USA) soon to stock chassis – requesting your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The chassis are now in stock! It's been far too long a gestation period and the delivery was both long and painful! Please accept our apologies for the length of the wait.

This message marks the start of our "soft launch" of the chassis, and there is a secret URL made available just for you to get access to our offering before anyone else (and point out any problems ;) :

The diyAudio Store - Chassis

There are however some caveats as we move into this new territory:

• We had to do considerable work to the store in order to get it up to scratch to handle the new categories structure, handle the US/EU thing nicer and make sure it warns you properly about putting stuff in your cart from two different countries at once which was giving everybody headaches. It is much better now. If you experience any problems with the store, please post them in the store problems thread. We've had a few orders come through since the changes, so I am thinking this is all going to be ok.
  • We haven't yet shipped anything as large or heavy from our fulfillment center as these yet, and the warehouse says it will be no problem, but if you experience problems, the shipping quotes are ridiculous (expect international shipping quotes to be very high), or have any other problems, just let us know in the diyAudio Store Chassis Thread. I have confidence it will be no problem.
  • Please understand why there are limited quantities of many items and/or not the exact items you were hoping for, especially some of the accessories which were expensive and bulky to ship and we didn't have much idea if there would be much desire for them. This was our first run, our funds are limited, and if things went bad, we didn't want them sinking the ship. Based on the feedback in this thread and multiple rounds of surveys, we had to make a decision on what and how much of each to stock. Our fulfillment model means we can't customize orders in any way, each SKU gets sent our directly from the fulfillment center, so we had to make some calls on what configurations were going to be available. In general we opted for more ventilation than standard.
  • Based on demand and feedback we'll offer other configurations in the future and work on getting the prices of optional stuff like back panels and bases down, however for now we do have some, and they are very well packed to be shipped out individually. Feel free to make requests in The diyAudio Store Chassis Thread for things that you would like to see in the future
  • All individual items you can order come in their own packaging. Some, particularly for accessories, added a lot to the price. As feedback comes in and trends appear in what people want to bundle together, in the future we'll have more bundle options in order to bring down prices.
  • We've really tried to keep all the prices as low as possible while still making it worth our while to bother. Everything adds up and sometimes it feels like death by 1,000 cuts. Prices may change in the future, up or down.
  • The back panel parts pack will be available for shipping from next week. If you order it now, that will cause your order to be put on hold. If you are in the USA or Canada, we'll ship the rest of the order to you now, and ship the back panel kit when it comes in. Rest of the world, we'll wait until everything is together before shipping.

As for the whole process, it took much longer than we anticipated and we've learned a lot along the way! We're glad we didn't take pre-orders because there were many hurdles that needed to be straddled and each had its own price in terms of time, energy and money. Now it's a road (relatively) well traveled, next time won't be so hard, or slow.

This all said and done, we think you'll be very happy with the result. While I haven't seen the shipment in person as it went direct from Italy to the fulfillment center, I have been often in daily contact with HiFi2000 and we feel confident that you will get what you're paying for: A best of breed product, that looks awesome, is designed from the ground up to bring joy, satisfaction and a lack of frustration into your life as an amplifier builder, that will arrive to you well packaged and in the condition it was intended, and is offered at a very competitive price.

For all questions related to the chassis from now on, feedback, etc, please post in the new Chassis Thread in the new diyAudio Store Support Area.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
So how many minutes after they go on sale will it take for the first batch to sell out?

It's my hope that they won't. Please - if you can wait until the next order (say 2 months), consider postponing ordering multiple quantities for a few days to help your fellow DIY brothers out.

Until 48 hours have passed, I have put a quantity limit on all the deluxe chassis - a maximum of 1 per order.

I'm just curious as to how many are in that batch. (Which will sell out very quickly...)

There's 20 of each Deluxe Chassis model and 10 each of everything else.

I wonder those who submitted the survey will have early dibs :rolleyes:

That would have been a great idea and your feedback in the survey was invaluable! I won't be posting the chassis link anywhere else on diyAudio or putting it in the store navigation for a few days, to ensure that people on this thread get first dibs.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The category "kits" is only accessible via a "secret link".
Currently there is only the "amp camp amp" listed. Do you plan to offer more kits?

Ulf

It's been a few days now since we told the Amp Camp thread about those so it's fine to post that here:

The diyAudio Store - Kits

We don't have any immediate plans for more kits - creating one has been more than a handful! Who'd have thought something as simple as the Amp Camp Kit would end up being comprised of nearly 50 line items from a dozen suppliers! It's an experiment and we'll see if it ends up being worth the huge amount of time and energy it took to make it happen. If it does we'll certainly look at more options.

We would certainly like to have a multi vendor store on diyAudio, but overall we're short staffed and progress on various fronts of diyAudio has been slow as we're all spread too thin. Right now, the kit is launched, the chassis are launched and it's time to see whether it's all been worth the effort!

The original idea with the store was to get some money in which can be directed towards improving the content side of diyAudio, and that's still the plan. I really hope that this can bring in some funds which give us the capacity to get some new technology and sharing platforms on board (eg: forum, projects system, competitions system, multi vendor store) as well as have more firepower in the newsletter / blog / keeping-you-updated department to make diyAudio an even better place for for audio makers and tweakers to learn and collaborate worldwide.

My first real chassis (x3)

Ordered placed today for 3 different chassis types (#100000913). :rolleyes:

Ordering process pretty straightforward and flawless. :)

Well done and thank you! :D

(If I had purchased the same three 2U chassis directly from Italy I would have paid at least twice.) :eek:

I need to sell more caps to pay for these babies now... :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Any reason the no frills verisons don't have aluminum covers and backs?

Good question! Purely to keep the cost down. They would have added, at a rough guess right now, 50 bucks. For another 50 bucks on top of that you get the deluxe version which gives you a base, back panel cut outs, and 50 or so pre-tapped threads. If you've ever tried marking, drilling and tapping 50 blind threads by hand into heatsinks worth triple figures, you'll know you never want to do that again! :)

In the future we may offer an "in between" version but we had to draw a line and our survey research said there was a core group of people that preferred convenience and a core group of people that valued price over convenience so we designed these first configurations to meet the needs of those two groups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.