First post perpetual edit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all

A new function is on. Each thread's first post can be edited only by the thread's starter for ever. The idea is to cover the need for update links of project threads or GBs visible from post one to save members from searching revisions or current status of affairs in a long number of posts. This function is up to the thread starters not to be abused in any way for context. If there will be problems of abuse this new function may well be cancelled in the future.
That one was suggested by AndrewT and implemented by Jason.

Best
DiyA admins & mods team

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Here you go Salas, this is what I see for my last thread.

Attachments

• DIY Edit.JPG
    DIY Edit.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 976
good show chaps!!! this is great, ive missed this ability that is available on other forums and this way you can still keep the integrity that comes with not having perpetual edit on everything, so you can be held accountable for what you say, but still allows threads such as GB's and others that cover more complex and evolving subject matter, or ongoing research to be handled in a neater and much more comprehensive way.

well done!!

BTW i just reported my post in the GB section for the wire LPUHP 16W power amp GB thread to see if i could get this feature enabled for the first post of the thread? i'm the thread starter as you can see, but i gather it isnt retrospective, or hasnt been enabled yet?

thanks again

Jeremy

Last edited:
ok no problem, maybe he'll even catch the report. Hopefully this will help to abate the frustration ive been having lately with people continuing to request pcbs long after there are none left. It's only half the battle though, as we still need to get them to actually READ that first post.

Maybe i get to look less like an intolerant Nazi while trying to enforce reading a few pages before posting a request and asking questions covered already in the first post.

One possible negative is that i think some people were really only just starting to get their head around using the wiki feature to enrich the function/form of project threads; in fact it was often used as a fix to sidestep this edit problem to maintain lists, but maybe you didnt intend the wikis to be used in this way?

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is a great add on folks. Thanks!

I would like to suggest adding an 'attachments' section to each thread that the thread starter can edit forever. Sometimes, the first post is the first post. Editing it in the future might make the rest of the thread lose its meaning. Just a thought!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
With the first post edit,

I am trying to upload the last circuit that was used and has gone missing from this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/179200-any-thoughts-circuit.html

It says contact the Administrator due to time out of advanced functions..

So I cannot upload it on the first post...??
(no one can see or build this due to no circuit in the post)

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.