Server configuration upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Andrew :)

I see you have reverted to the instant update of a search list after viewing a post/thread that was new.

This was dropped a few years ago and is a welcome return.
Thanks.

If that has changed it was unintentional, but if it's a welcome change then great :)

But why did the Forum drop out and show 404 repeatedly some 20minutes before we got to see that old Ferranti computer terminal?

Recently? I've been messing about with all kinds of stuff, it should pass soon when I stop tinkering.

Hi Jason

I used to be able to right-click on a flag to see what country it was. Mow I just get a garbled file name and no alt text.

Regards - Godfrey

Attachments

• flag.GIF
    flag.GIF
    21.3 KB · Views: 181
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Tony, as Dave suggests, please flush your cache (usually shift + reload, or ctrl + reload, depending on your browser), and if problems persist, let me know your OS, browser and browser version. Also if the problem occurs in all browsers. There may be browser specific problems to do with DOM incompatibility issues now, depending on how ham fisted we tune the javascript and css precompilers and cachers.

Jason,
the search function that is used when I click on a topic thread is missing my download data.

Click on amplifiers.
Click on solid state.
List of all recent posts appears in newest first.
All are greyed out.
The system has not read the information on which posts I have not read and fails to display those unread threads in bold

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK tried flushing cache but didn't help. It seems the problem is with Firefox, IE 8 is ok. I've attached a comparison between Firefox 3.6 on Win7, IE8 on Win 7 and Firefox 4.0 on XP SP3. Actually I will also attach a screen shot of this message in the editor so that you can see how something a bit more substantial looks too :) (it's firefox 3.6.16 on win 7). I'm running 1280 X 1024 resolution, so it might not look as bad on something lower like 1024 X 768.

Nice work on the flags too Jason! I always thought it would be nice if it told you what they were if you moused over, didn't know you could do as Godfrey had suggested, I often wonder which countries flags are displayed :)

Tony.

Attachments

• font_compare.png
    font_compare.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 268
  • message.png
    message.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 271
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok well I think I found a solution (though I certainly didn't need it before). The default font in firefox is Times new Roman. I just changed it to corbel and it doesn't look to bad at all (hadn't tried this font before). I'll have to find something else for my XP laptop ;)

Also the other thing you will notice is the difference in background colour with firefox compared to ie8, I'm pretty sure they were the same before, but I actually don't mind the Black on grey, it is what I set my terminal emulators backgrounds to by default.

So it looks like firefox isn't picking up the font directive and falling back to whatever the default font is set to in the firefox content options.

Tony.

Attachments

• corbel_font.png
    corbel_font.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 262
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Another round of optimizations, javascript combination and minification, and we're sitting at a Google Pagespeed ranking of 96/100 and the number of page objects downloaded radically reduced (in fact, Pingdom would say we're down from 50 to 1 on most pages). There may (almost certainly) be some collateral damage, so if you find any more bugs let me know. I'll address the issues posted above ASAP - thanks guys.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
OK tried flushing cache but didn't help. It seems the problem is with Firefox, IE 8 is ok. I've attached a comparison between Firefox 3.6 on Win7, IE8 on Win 7 and Firefox 4.0 on XP SP3. Actually I will also attach a screen shot of this message in the editor so that you can see how something a bit more substantial looks too :) (it's firefox 3.6.16 on win 7). I'm running 1280 X 1024 resolution, so it might not look as bad on something lower like 1024 X 768.

Nice work on the flags too Jason! I always thought it would be nice if it told you what they were if you moused over, didn't know you could do as Godfrey had suggested, I often wonder which countries flags are displayed :)

Tony.

Hi Tony. Interesting, I'm running 3.6.16 on Windows 7 and the edit box is styled just fine. Anyone else having this issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.