Which links should open a new tab / window?

Which links in forum posts should open a new tab / window?

• None - I'll do it myself!

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Links to other websites should open a new window

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Links to other websites AND non-forum areas (eg: the wiki) should open a new window

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • All links! (how things are currently)

Votes: 55 56.1%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Currently all links in posts open a new window (or a new tab depending on your browser). Should it be this way?

With a modern browser such as FireFox you have control over where any link opens by holding down the shift key (new window) or ctrl key (new tab) before clicking on a link, or right clicking and choosing the option you like (new window, or new tab).

Do you like not having a choice? Is it convenient?

I understand this is quite a heated debate and from my limited research I've been told you all are quite happy with things how they are, but to sate my curiosity, why don't we just do a poll and start a flame war on web standards while we're at it? :)

The current functionality depends on which browser you use. In IE it opens a new window (that's more because IE is essentially a broken piece of junk that doesn't bother to abide by any reasonable standards), in any *real* browser it opens a new tab.

human.bin,
Let me know how you voted and how you wanted to vote and I will change it for you.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Well the votes spoke, 60/40 in favor of no change. Pretty close.

The votes rolled in very slowly I might add - 3 days up and only 90 or so votes. It will stay as it is, and perhaps develop the option to let a member set options for how they like it, later. Thanks for everyone's input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.