New wiki is live! Adopt a wiki page!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We finally have our new wiki going!

vBulletin doesn't have its own native wiki, but our new one which is based on MediaWiki (the same as WikiPedia), should see us through for a while. It has a few features that build on top of the forum structure, so I think it's a reasonable complement.

The old wiki was using software a decade old and there was no way to import it into the new system which is very different. If anyone would like to be so kind as to adopt a wiki page and port it over to the new wiki, that would be very much appreciated.

Each wiki page has it's own discussion thread, but I might suggest using this thread to discuss things in general about the wiki, how to use it, any bugs, and how it could be improved.

Thanks very much to Dan for the hard work in getting this set up.

Jason

Last edited:
Jason.

I was trying to bring the Krell KSA-50 clone building guide into the new Wiki, but ran into trouble. It seems like there is a 10000 character limit per page. The original guide has almost 28000 characters. Since it is already organized in chapters, I wanted to bring each one into a separate page. I was trying to build the following hierarchy:

Building Guide
. Krell KSA-50 clone Building Guide
.. Chapter 1: History of the thread
.. Chapter 2: References and Corrections
.. Chapter 3: How to build with examples
.. Chapter 4: Krell Facts and Reviews
.. Chapter 5: Upping the power!
.. Appendix- Krell-O-Tracker

Unfortunately, I ended up with the new pages in the top level instead of nested. I could not find the options to do what I intended. Am I missing rights to do it? Could you help?

Thanks!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
We have to make a big call here at the start of things. Currently the wiki uses BBCode as listed at http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/Special:Wikicodelist for formatting. We've got "MediaWiki" compatibility turned on at the moment but it is advertised as being very inefficient. Do you think it's worth the "mess" of having two different coding formats or should we disable MediaWiki compatibility and just standardize on the BBCode formatting?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Jason.

I was trying to bring the Krell KSA-50 clone building guide into the new Wiki, but ran into trouble. It seems like there is a 10000 character limit per page. The original guide has almost 28000 characters. Since it is already organized in chapters, I wanted to bring each one into a separate page. I was trying to build the following hierarchy:

Building Guide
. Krell KSA-50 clone Building Guide
.. Chapter 1: History of the thread
.. Chapter 2: References and Corrections
.. Chapter 3: How to build with examples
.. Chapter 4: Krell Facts and Reviews
.. Chapter 5: Upping the power!
.. Appendix- Krell-O-Tracker

Unfortunately, I ended up with the new pages in the top level instead of nested. I could not find the options to do what I intended. Am I missing rights to do it? Could you help?

Thanks!

I've added the link to the front page. I have adjusted the protection of the front page to "Cannot be moved or renamed" so you should be able to edit it now. If you can't, let us know! And If I have misunderstood you, please let me know.

Stick to the MediaWiki compatibility. In the end, it's the more powerful toolbox.

I don't think it adds any more power, just duplicates functionality that can be actually displayed using this wiki. For example using equals for == heading == doesn't work.

Making tables was a bit more complicated than before but when I have got the instructions I find this OK. The coding could be anything as long as we have good coding examples. I got very confused when I pushed the table button and ended up in nothing. The table tag is much more complex for a working table. Is it possible for Dan or somebody else to make this button more complete?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.