Post thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
In the spirit of encouraging well thought out replies, you can now thank a post, contributing to the "thanks" score of the member who wrote the post. The idea is to encourage and reward exceptional posting.

The look of this new system will be tweaked over the next few days. Any feedback on the pros and cons of the system and how it works warmly appreciated.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The goal was to "encourage and reward exceptional posting" and to this goal it failed (in the "Down with thanks" thread there was 500 thanks in 5 pages), so it will have to come back in a different guise, different mechanics. I think in general, developing a mechanism to achieve this goal is a good idea. Even perhaps instead of thanks a "nominate for best post of the month" button with the best post voted on at the end of the month. Any innovative ideas are of course welcome.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The goal was to "encourage and reward exceptional posting" and to this goal it failed (in the "Down with thanks" thread there was 500 thanks in 5 pages), so it will have to come back in a different guise, different mechanics. I think in general, developing a mechanism to achieve this goal is a good idea. Even perhaps instead of thanks a "nominate for best post of the month" button with the best post voted on at the end of the month. Any innovative ideas are of course welcome.

I've seen many times where someone asks a question and the answers that come back clearly indicate that most of the people answering were only using a key word or two in the questioner's post as the trigger to go off on their own pet peeve or fave rave. Just the other day (on another forum, not here) I saw a question in which the poster asked for recommendations for an amp under X dollars but not amp A as the circuit did a certain thing that was out of the question in his planned app. The post got two answers. One recommending the very amp that the guy had just said he didn't want to use , and the other recommending one that was 1.5 times the stated max price. Maybe posts that actually led to the understanding of an issue or the solution of the problem could be marked as such by the original poster .
If the mark or comment showed up on posts listed in search results , it might also help the searcher choose posts that are most likely to contain the info they're looking for. . . . . . Just a thought.

In the Tweakers.net Forum (Dutch) they employ a kind of user driven moderator system. Aside from the regular moderators, who have near to infinite powers w.r.t. post moderation, users themselves can sign up for moderator duty. They can then rate posts for added value, information etc. Good jokes can also be appreciated.

The more people moderate, the more power their votes get. Putting more weight to the votes of experienced forum members. The system software does keep an eye on the way people vote... "tactical voting" to increase the appreciation of a post, or "parrot voting" to increase your moderator status is severely punished. I believe this system works quite well. Tweakers.net is a big forum, and news-driven topics can easily gather several hundreds of posts in a few hours. The more users post, the more user-moderators are present to sift out the garbage posts and keep an eye on the members.

I haven't told you the good part yet... With ratings available on all posts, you can run a filter on a topic, showing only the highest rated posts, and automatically ignoring the lesser important posts. Works like a charm.

I don't know if this is something useable for DIYaudio, but the idea of "thank you" posting does point to more user interaction to appreciating posts.

Cheers :cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.