diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Site Announcements (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site-announcements/)
-   -   Membership ideas (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site-announcements/151453-membership-ideas.html)

Jason 11th September 2009 05:27 AM

Membership ideas

I'm dedicated to keeping diyAudio in good health as well as free and open for everyone.

It's doesn't come cheap - a great server host, 24x7 uptime support, quality high-performance server-grade hardware, bandwidth, the latest software packages, designers, developers. Right now we're in the middle of upgrading our server hardware again which should make a significant difference to page load times and latency.

To help cover costs, we're soon going to be offering extremely affordable paid membership levels offering a variety of added benefits to those who are generous enough to help us out financially. Your own custom forum user title, control over whether you want to see any advertising on the forum, an entry in our donors page, extra upload space for album images and limited editions of our soon-to-be-released t-shirts are all things being considered.

I'd like any focus to be on providing new additional functionality, features and benefits rather than taking anything away. If you have any suggestions for new features you'd like us to develop that you think would appeal to members or entice you to make a donation, please post them here or PM me.

Thanks,

Jason.

Geek 11th September 2009 06:24 AM

Define "extremely affordable" ;)

Cheers!

Jason 11th September 2009 06:32 AM

From $10, for one year of benefits. Which happens to be less than the large frappachino I didn't have at Starbucks in Moscow last year :)

gainphile 11th September 2009 06:40 AM

Sounds fair to me.

Great job with the site btw. :cool:

Geek 11th September 2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1921097)
From $10, for one year of benefits. Which happens to be less than the large frappachino I didn't have at Starbucks in Moscow last year :)

Sold!

What's the PP addy? :D

Jason 11th September 2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Sold!

What's the PP addy?
We'll have a neat little system up and running soon to take care of the administration of everything.

Pulled from the last thread on this topic..
Quote:

"... if I could get a "printable version" of a thread, on a single page, with ALL GRAPHICS. This would be awsome!!!".
I take it that this would be a desired improvement to the current print page system? Everything on the one page, graphics included, perhaps a choice of font size text wrapping/columns?

Glowbug 11th September 2009 07:59 AM

Ads, what ads? :D

Seriously, this place has some of the least-obtrusive advertising of any of the forums I'm on. Not that I'm complaining one bit :)

I was going to donate soon anyway, but this is just more reason to.

Jason 11th September 2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowbug (Post 1921140)
Seriously, this place has some of the least-obtrusive advertising of any of the forums I'm on. Not that I'm complaining one bit :)

Yes, the current ads are practically not even there :) Which provides quite poor incentive for sponsors to actually give us any money, so they haven't been giving us much money at all. We're going to have more ad spots in the future while striving to maintain the existing non-commercial feel, even for non-members. Of course, anyone who has contributed financially to the website gets to view the website however they want to view the website.

Hearinspace 12th September 2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1921064)
. . . . If you have any suggestions for new features you'd like us to develop that you think would appeal to members or entice you to make a donation, please post them here or PM me.

Thanks,
Jason.

Hi Jason,

I'd like to see 1) An exact quote search function that only looks at text (including spaces) not word recognition, and 2) the ability to search the results of a search.

I often go looking for a post I first saw when I didn't need the info but now I do. It is usually the case that I can remember a word that was used in the text but not how it was used - For example: I'm sure there was something about electrical & technology but that's all, it could have been "electronics technology" , "technical electronics", "an electrical technicality" etc. . . . To be able to search "electr" and then do a search of those results for "techn" would be great.
These functions are also highly useful when doing fresh searches where we know generally the sort of info we want to find but have no clear idea what form it may be in.

Thanks !
Hearinspace

DigitalJunkie 13th September 2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowbug (Post 1921140)

I agree,I hardly ever notice the ads,and they're all audio-related anyways.It's not like we're being assaulted by weenie-pill pop-ups. :p