Membership ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Post editing & more

Hi,

First off, great site so a big thanks to the people who make it happen and those who contribute!

A feature I would really like to see is the ability to edit, at any time, the first post of a thread I've created. This would allow the originator to provide a synopsis at the start of the thread as the topic progresses. For example, I start a thread discussing the design of a sub I want to build. If I get to a final design and build it, I can post all the relevant info (driver, enclosure, amplification, filters, pics, cost, etc.) at the start of the thread, instead of part way through as often happens now - after people make further comments on the finished design. So someone could look at the first post, decide if it's worth digging deeper, and then read the thread to see what alternatives were explored, why choices were made, and so on.

I know there are potentially issues with anytime post editing, but if it is a feature solely for paid members that will limit abuse; restricting it to thread originators provides more control; and limiting it to only the first post provides the benefits I want while eliminating the possibility that a thread will be dismembered by a disgruntled person.

Beyond that, better searching is a high priority. Part of that is dependent on user training. It bugs me no end to review the list of recent posts and see line after line of "What about this" and "Latest idea" etc. Come on, put some useful info in the title, e.g., "BB's sealed B3S desktop build". If that's in the Full-Range forum I have all the info I need to decide if it's worth reading - size and type of speaker and driver(s) chosen. This approach should be suggested to new board users in the welcome message; perhaps it could be added to the "new post" entry page; and maybe some key word fields could be added to new post entries, e.g., for speakers, choose sub-forum (multi, full, sub, exotic); 2, 3, 4, n-way; size - desktop, bookshelf, stand mount, tower, large tower; material (BB, marble, ...); finish (veneer, paint, ...).
If those could be displayed along with the normal thread info, browsing would be way more efficient, and keywords like that would be great to search on.

I like the kit idea. At a minimum, a sub-forum to list projects where the developer is donating a portion of revenue back to the site, so those projects are highlighted. Informative titles for them please!

Still on the topic of accessing the great info on the site, how about earning (paid) membership status by submitting articles that are accepted (mods or members vote on value?). I'm a newbie at audio diy, but have a woodworking background, and have toyed with the idea of pulling together info scattered across many threads about, for instance, joinery techniques for boxes. Just need a little more motivation to take the time and do it!

Articles should have associated discussion threads for people to seek clarification, add info, identify errors, and so on. Authors should commit to update the article, say quarterly for the time their complimentary membership lasts.

More articles, that provide a solid information base in different areas, would be a huge benefit for anyone new to DIY or a particular area of it.

Cheers,
John

A feature I would really like to see is the ability to edit, at any time, the first post of a thread I've created. This would allow the originator to provide a synopsis at the start of the thread as the topic progresses. For example, I start a thread discussing the design of a sub I want to build. If I get to a final design and build it, I can post all the relevant info (driver, enclosure, amplification, filters, pics, cost, etc.) at the start of the thread, instead of part way through as often happens now - after people make further comments on the finished design. So someone could look at the first post, decide if it's worth digging deeper, and then read the thread to see what alternatives were explored, why choices were made, and so on.

Great idea, but comes with a lot of pitfalls.

The best way around this I have seen is once you have posted the initial thread, reply with 'reserved', you can edit this with links to relevant updates (which you can get by clicking on the post number in the top right).. This allows you to easily provide a summary of useful parts of the thread/updates without editing the first post.

:)

Sam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.