Welcome to Upgrade Island!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm kind of glad of my somewhat bizzare timing... After a four year hiatus I returned a couple of days ago, and after two posts the forum has been put on ice for a few days to get a makeover. I would have not felt right at all if I'd waited a few extra days and it wasn't the old familliar DIY Audio.

Just wondering what ever happened to the design a new logo competition, It still seems the same ;) Wondering if any of the designs submitted (no I didn't contribute) will make an appearance. From memory Ropie submitted quite a few nice designs.

Anyway Just like to say Hi Everyone :) I can't believe it has been nearly four years!

Anyway the next round of drinks is on me ;) Are there any single malt's on this Island?

Tony.

planet10 said:
Hey, where's my beach chair...

... oops, too much to do to enjoy it anyway...

*unfolds Dave a chair, after getting tangled in it... twice*

Here you are! :)

*puts a Turkish coffee in your hand and a set of headphones on your head*

Miniwatt said:
I noticed a 'Elektor forum', that's new, right? Interesting :cool:

I just noticed that the other day, cool! :cool:

Tnx to Mr. Reimer, I'm addicted :D

Cheers!

P.S. Sunscreen anyone? We northerner's are gonna burn like lobster :hot:

Jason said:
Hi Wavebourne! We'd be only too happy to accept server grade hardware in the US if we could also find someone in the US to ensure it was running around the clock 24x7 and fix it in the middle of the night with little to no downtime. We do pay a kings ransom for our current setup, and in the future will probably look to move to full time professionally managed hosting in the future, rather than heading in the direction of self managed and self repaired co-location. If you have other ideas, please PM me (if we can send PM's ;).

Cookies and stuff - no guarantees :)

I feel the sudden need to donate to this wonderful site. Nice work Jason, fantastic forum and community you have here, don't know where I'd be without it.

Server needed

I'd be happy to provide SysAdmin type help as well. I run a few managed and virtual servers for different companies.

Jason, what kinds of resources do you guys use? If you can email me your current needs, depending on what they are, I might be able to provide a hosting platform for free :) It'd be at a big datacenter with fully managed hardware and network. Let me know,

TitanS

A wee bit late for feature requests, so feel free to ingnore me, but it would perhaps be cool if there was a talkinator (see talkinator.com) in each subforum for people to chat via IM. (assuming the service stayed free.)

No Registration. No sign-up.

Add chat to your web site or profile page in seconds! Just copy and paste the code, and start typing!

Get your own Talkinator?
Simply enter the name of the room in the textbox in the upper left and your talkinator room will be created.

Sounds great! How do I sign up?
You don't. Talkinator (much like its sister site Mailinator) is about speeding up your web experience. With Talkinator, there's no sign-up. For you -or- for the people who visit your talkinator room. Just grab a talkinator and go!

Put a Talkinator in YOUR site!
Every Talkinator includes a "get-the-code" button. Click that (or click the here). Customize the talkinator for size, color and room name. Paste that code in your site - and you have your very own Talkinator!

Share your Talkinator - or keep it a Secret !
Want a rousing conversation going on in your website? Then pick a Talkinator room that already exists. Websites can "share" Talkinators. If you and another site have the same Talkinator room, it doesn't matter if you're on that site or your own - you are in the same Talkinator talking away!

For example, I'd love to know where the heck to get a quad ganged pot (seem hard to find at digikey, et. al.) but that's probably not worth creating a new diyaudio thread over, but would be handy to ask in a talkinator chat box.

Anyway, thanks for the upgrade efforts!

Rob

Jason said:
Hi Wavebourne! We'd be only too happy to accept server grade hardware in the US if we could also find someone in the US to ensure it was running around the clock 24x7 and fix it in the middle of the night with little to no downtime. We do pay a kings ransom for our current setup, and in the future will probably look to move to full time professionally managed hosting in the future, rather than heading in the direction of self managed and self repaired co-location. If you have other ideas, please PM me (if we can send PM's ;).

It needs to be checked how much it is to host own hardware in some co-location, but currently data centers move from us to other states where it is cheaper.

What I can offer, a hardware only, and my help to support Unix and applications that run on top.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Well, I configure and manage fail-over server (and DB) clusters all bloody day long, so I will not be offering any such assistance. :)

I'll donate moolah occasionally though, since that's probably more helpful and better appreciated.

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.