Big forum upgrade ahead - what you need to know!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Fellow members,

Something big is about to happen!

Over the past years we've been planning to upgrade and improve the overall experience of diyAudio. This means updating the software, which is very old. The current forum software started off as a breadboard project, and we just kept tacking on more pieces. It was quick and it worked but it's made it very hard to maintain and innovate in a timely fashion. It's time to start with a shiny new PCB, and do it all properly from scratch. To that end, we've completed a new design and the assembly is almost complete.

The guiding light was to make it easier to use diyAudio to do what you are trying to do. More effective ways to search. Project information that's easy to find instead of buried deep inside threads. And as a bonus we're also excited to announce that we'll be publishing some great articles by a range of authors.

The good news is that the new website will have all the features of the old. Plus some great new ones, and several more to come in the near future.

The bad news is that the process of upgrading and importing the old forum into the new one is going to take a few days, during which time all the regular forums will have to be locked.

To make this painful period somewhat more manageable for you, we're going to open a new *temporary* forum area where you *can* post and stay in touch. This area is just temporary, and will vanish once the new website is launched. At a later date we'll recover the posts from the temporary forum and make them available to read on the new website, but it won't happen overnight, perhaps a week or two. We hope you understand that we don't think this is an ideal situation, but perhaps the best we can offer.

The exact date of the migration isn't known yet, we estimate in 2 weeks, and we'll advise as soon as we can confirm a date.

If you have any questions or comments, please ask.

Jason
diyAudio Founder

Excellent work to date guys, continued success. Will search access to the current forum archives be available on the new forum?

It's something I wish I could do on the present forum as I find that a lot of diamonds in that old mine shaft from great contributors, long gone - it would be terrible to loose it.

What time is it?

Time to buy a watch?
Time to say your prayers?
Time to tighten' up?
Time to plan a vacation?
Time to begin the next fund-raising round?
Time to get those t-shirts made?
Time to pick the new logo from the XXX (how many?) suggestions?

Time to say thanks for all the contributions from people who believe that good things come from the exchange of ideas in an open forum!
Time to extend thanks to those who exercise moderation in keeping us from throwing more sand at one another!

Thanks for All!...looking forward to it...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.